future for PEDO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hirohero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
i am seriously considering going for pedo, but I've been hearing some bad stuff about pedo (that pedo is all about volume,, etc)
well, I do NOT think pedo is easy money and even if it is, that is not the reason I am going for it. however, I just want your inputs about the future of pedo because this is what I am going to do for next 40 years.
Also, my score is not that great :oops:
I am in top 1/3 of my class, and my part I is 89. I haven't done any research, and I am international student. do i look strong enough? can I go for it? just any thoughts plz, i really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a practicing pediatric dentist yet. I am gonna be one in about 2 and 1/2 years thou.

However, I AM a practicing GP. From my experience so far (1yr>), GP's see a lot of patients too, especially if you accept all kinds of insurances such as medicaid, unions, DMO's, and so forth.

I do agree that pediatric dentists are generally more volume-oriented since they don't do too many expensive time-consuming procedures like root canals, crowns, bridges, and implants.

My decision to go into pedo was all about personal preferences. I don't want to worry or think about even slightly open margin crowns/bridges, not perfect matching shades, or half a millimeter over-extended RCT causing slightest discomfort. I'd rather deal with screaming kicking kids and do a 3-second exo :)

Also, don't worry too much about your grade. I think yours is more than good enough. Focus on getting involved in pedo related extracurricular work and externships.

I laugh when you say that you hear some bad things about pedo re volume. It's bad only if you don't like working with kids in a very busy environment, otherwise it's the truth. That's how most pedo practices run. Unless of course you do a lot of sedation. Kids especially the little ones can't tolerate long appointments so for me I usually have them booked for half hour appoint, and on some days when I have a lot of 3-6yr old kids, with other recalls in between, means a very busy day. That has nothing to do with money, that's just how pedo practices function. Some people find it crazy and too overwhelming, others like me strap on their roller blades and enjoy the ride.

I'd suggest visiting different pedo practices to get a good idea of what's in store for you. Working with kids in the real world is very different from the exposure you get in school. As for your stats, they're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys
i am seriously considering going for pedo, but I've been hearing some bad stuff about pedo (that pedo is all about volume,, etc)
well, I do NOT think pedo is easy money and even if it is, that is not the reason I am going for it. however, I just want your inputs about the future of pedo because this is what I am going to do for next 40 years.
Also, my score is not that great :oops:
I am in top 1/3 of my class, and my part I is 89. I haven't done any research, and I am international student. do i look strong enough? can I go for it? just any thoughts plz, i really appreciate your help.

In my opinion, the reason for seeing a high volume of patients is mostly due to behavior management than anything else. As a pedodontist, you have to be fast and efficient because many kids lack the patience to lie quietly for you to perform that pulpotomy and stainless steel crown. Some are already cranky by the time they enter the operatory after having waited in the waiting room for half an hour. For the really uncooperative kids, the longer you take to perform the procedure, the more combative they become which in turn, makes your job that much more difficult. When I first started my pedo residency, I was pretty slow. I remember taking 30 minutes to do a pulptomy and stainless steel crown on a 4 year old who was the most perfectly behaved patient for the first 15 minutes of the procedure and then became Satan's child for the remainder of the time. Had I completed the procedure within the first 15 minutes, both the patient and I would have had a pleasant dental experience. But because it took me 30 minutes, it was a nightmare for the both of us. Trust me, this is not the type of dental experience you want to impart to a 4 year old because the next time he sits in the dental chair, he's going to remember that bad experience and will give you a hard time...even if you are only doing a prophy. Thankfully, I have learned to do a pulpotomy and stainless steel crown in 5 minutes and ever since then, that same patient has been awesome. So my point is that pediatric dentists try to limit the amount of time that kids spend in the operatory and so that high volume of patients that a pedodontists sees is just a byproduct of that. Pediatric dentists usually just don't arbitrarily choose to see a high volume of patients per day so that they can make tons of money. It's just that the behavior of children make it a necessity.

Anyone want to comment on how the new healthcare package will effect Pedo? It seems that there will be more funding available, so more new programs should emerge. Also, the law will provide every child to receive pediatric oral care through the parent's policy.

In terms of numbers, we should see an increase in the number of pedo grads, but also an increase in the number of patients. Any comments?

I think Dentistry was left out of the healthcare bill.

I think Dentistry was left out of the healthcare bill.

Actually, there is some stuff in the healthcare bill that relates to dentistry:

- MLP pilot programs
- Increased funding for pedo programs to graduate more pedo dentist
- Mandate for insurance providers to cover child dental services.

Just some of the stuff I have read.

Pediatric dentists usually just don't arbitrarily choose to see a high volume of patients per day so that they can make tons of money. It's just that the behavior of children make it a necessity.

:laugh:

Come on man, so you're saying you CHOOSE to see a high volume of patients strictly for behavioral management and not to maximize your volume for production?

Seriously, being able to see a patient every 5-15 minutes is a part of behavioral / patient management, but if it weren't about production (and $$), you wouldn't see so many patients in a day. Get real.

:laugh:

Come on man, so you're saying you CHOOSE to see a high volume of patients strictly for behavioral management and not to maximize your volume for production?

Seriously, being able to see a patient every 5-15 minutes is a part of behavioral / patient management, but if it weren't about production (and $$), you wouldn't see so many patients in a day. Get real.

Seriously, why can't anyone ever admit on here that they partly did dentistry for the money?

Seriously, why can't anyone ever admit on here that they partly did dentistry for the money?

I chose dentistry because thought I knew but really, I didn't know what the heck I was getting myself into. I found out in dental school that I REALLY like working on teeth. :thumbup:

I keep working hard because I like the income. Period.

If I didn't like/need the income, I would stay in academics because I love teaching dentistry.

:woot:

P.S. You couldn't pay me enough $$ to practice pediatric dentistry. Heck, I'd rather do endo before working on somebody below the age of 20. My wife on the other hand, loves kids, so I send them all to her!!