Future In Pharmacy Field

Started by JakeOgle
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JakeOgle

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just curious to what anyone knows or thinks about the outlook for the career of pharmacists in the future. I'm a freshman at community college taking my pre- reqs and just curious as to what I'm going to be facing after my years of school. Its not going to stop me from becoming a pharmacists but I'm just curious.
 
Competitions seems to worry the job seekers out there. Otherwise, if you are a motivated student and a go getter, then you shouldn't worry too much. Jobs are available.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't worked as a RPH for 3 years. Of my peers that still have jobs, they have had to scramble across the state to ever increasing poor work environments. Some have given up b/c the stress is just too much. For instance, when you have to stand on your head to just get thru your normal schedule, then corporate expects you to do a flu shot clinic for free on your day off...well, you have ask yourself, am I a slave? And now I'm getting reports of CVS offering new grads 37/hour as new pharmacists in one district. 77K? WTF! That's 1999ish money. Also I heard of Wags in AZ "restructuring" ( there's an euphemism for ya) salaries. Even RXM got a cut in pay.
 
I haven't worked as a RPH for 3 years. Of my peers that still have jobs, they have had to scramble across the state to ever increasing poor work environments. Some have given up b/c the stress is just too much. For instance, when you have to stand on your head to just get thru your normal schedule, then corporate expects you to do a flu shot clinic for free on your day off...well, you have ask yourself, am I a slave? And now I'm getting reports of CVS offering new grads 37/hour as new pharmacists in one district. 77K? WTF! That's 1999ish money. Also I heard of Wags in AZ "restructuring" ( there's an euphemism for ya) salaries. Even RXM got a cut in pay.

37 an hour? wow..that's a hugh pay cut.. lol. are they on blackfriday sale too?
 
Sorry if this question seemed dumb to anyone. I am new to student doctor network. I should have searched around before I posted.
 
Don't listen to grumps, he is the Negative Nancy in the forums. I personally know people who recently graduated and work in AZ for 128k a year at CVS. So it's not as bad as everyone is saying. Sure there are places where its hard to find jobs (but the economy is not that strong either so it makes sense). However, there are plenty of places that are still paying 120k+ annually. You just need to go out there and look. Good luck with your pre-reqs!
 
if you'r going straight from a cc i dont see why not. I still think it's a good idea.
 
HEB supermarket is nice from what I've heard. $51/hour but it's a relaxed environment. I guess supermarkets are more relaxed than general, but I don't know much about the bigger companies around here. I would guess it's kind of saturated with floating pharmacists?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can find a full time gig in cvs pretty easy because of a high turnover rate in my area. Starting at about 55/hr

That's what I keep hearing! Turnover rate in CVS is high in certain busy areas like metropolitan Florida, DC and NJ/PA. Do technicians come and go as fast as the pharmies?
 
That's what I keep hearing! Turnover rate in CVS is high in certain busy areas like metropolitan Florida, DC and NJ/PA. Do technicians come and go as fast as the pharmies?
Yes, I was a tech at cvs for less than a year then left for another company because of how ****ty it was.