Future of dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sheen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here has any info. on the future of dental practice. I have been looking into dentistry and few of the things that really interest me are the autonomy, hours, a great solid, secure career and salary. I have been told by some people who are in the business field and have done some research on the future of dentistry that the "cushion" of the field is soon going to change in the next 5-10 years or so. They were specifically talking about the overall managed care situation. Since more companies are offering dental insurance to patients, etc. it might soon become similar to medicine. Just wondering what you all think about that and if you have heard similar future predictions.

Members don't see this ad.

Managed care sucks. Yet, I don't know anyone who wants to be an MD that lets that hold them back. Do what you love; don't harp on what might or might not happen.

Kniles5 said:
Managed care sucks. Yet, I don't know anyone who wants to be an MD that lets that hold them back. Do what you love; don't harp on what might or might not happen.

good answer

Members don't see this ad :)
plenty of people with insurance visit the dentist. Often it only covers half of the cost of major work with a yearly limit of 1500 or so. This does not mean the dr lowers his fees. The pt must pay cash, check or credit card for the balance and they do. Maybe3 I just dont understand but how would this change with more people being covered?

We need more dental students like BigBottomGirl. She would totally help me focus...on things other than dentistry.

baby boomers. there are plenty of them, they have $$, they don't want dentures and they are going to live a long time. good enough for me.

BigBottomGirl said:
plenty of people with insurance visit the dentist. Often it only covers half of the cost of major work with a yearly limit of 1500 or so. This does not mean the dr lowers his fees. The pt must pay cash, check or credit card for the balance and they do. Maybe3 I just dont understand but how would this change with more people being covered?

If the doctor is on "the list" then yes, his fees may be lowered. He must accept the fee the insurance company pays for a crown, which can be lower than the fee he charges for a private patient for the same crown.

If the doctor is not on "the list" and a patient comes in with insurance benefits, then the patient must pay the private price to the doctor, fill out the insurance paperwork, and will get some of the cost reimbursed directly to the patient.

The problem is - how does the patient with the insurance benefits know to find you if you aren't on "the list?" People are plain stupid sometimes and think that unless you are on the list, they can't go see you "because he doesn't take my insurance." How to educate the *****s? Start thinking...

griffin04 said:
If the doctor is on "the list" then yes, his fees may be lowered. He must accept the fee the insurance company pays for a crown, which can be lower than the fee he charges for a private patient for the same crown.

If the doctor is not on "the list" and a patient comes in with insurance benefits, then the patient must pay the private price to the doctor, fill out the insurance paperwork, and will get some of the cost reimbursed directly to the patient.

The problem is - how does the patient with the insurance benefits know to find you if you aren't on "the list?" People are plain stupid sometimes and think that unless you are on the list, they can't go see you "because he doesn't take my insurance." How to educate the *****s? Start thinking...

That's not very nice to say. :thumbdown:

griffin04 said:

...but true. :thumbup:

one thing comes to mind.................ICELAND vs GREENLAND.............sure, dont go to ICELAND....I mean cmon, its nothing but ice right????

DENTISTRY vs. MEDICINE.......sure, the dental bubble is about to burst, right????