Future of Independent Pharm's & Career Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jordan_az

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Becoming owner of independent pharmacy has been my dream, rather than working for chains or hospitals. My worries about future prospects have been mounting recently. Independents currently have ~45% of prescription markets, but mail-orders/internet pharm's are rising and new insurance stipulations forcing patients to mail-order 90 day supplies of chronic/maintenance prescriptions are cutting in on independents. There are most likely other variables at hand which havn't been mentioned, but my main concern is: without a future in independent ownership as, or if, it is slowly being scuttled, then I couldn't possibly imagine professional satisfaction and fulfillment working regular retail/hospital jobs. Not by any means alluding to financial satisfaction, but meaning more explicitly the prospect of being out there for myself & having control in my own hands, fail or succeed. Would like to hear other folks' perspectives relating to this, and also about future aspirations of new grads/soon-to-be grads just to see if I'm the only one dangerously tottering on the edge of cynicism about future prospects. Maybe my own perspective is limited at the moment, but just can't get over this recurring mental vision of pharmacy, in terms of career, as rolling assembly line with gaping mouth of retail/hosptal industry at end. Sure, the pay in general is nothing to complain about at all, but really really wondering how anybody can totally be passionate about the job & be emotionally invested to any great deal of depth. Truly sorry if this all just sounds cynical, not my intention at all, but if anyone else would share their personal perspectives relating to this theme, might be just what's needed to quit this pessimism, about which I have quiet feeling could very well be unfounded. With all sincerity, what do any of you working pharmacists think about after long day of hard work?? Chime in & HELP, please!

Members don't see this ad.

We had a member of the NACP speak to our class a couple months ago. They may have more information on their website, but I remember him mentioning that the organization has established (or is in the process of) a CO-OP of sorts. From what I remember the intent was to be able to combine under a larger "entity" in order to buy in bulk like the big chains can (thereby reducing overhead). There was also some discussion about the CO-OP establishing its own mail order "center" to accommodate for that need.

Also, with the upcoming Medication Therapy Management services, independents may be able to find a niche that chain pharmacies will have a difficult time filling.

So, your dream is feasible and there are many other avenues as well.