Future of interventional Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamshid007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that anesthesiology is limting the board to anesthesias only and not pmr anymore and that its going to turn into tow years instead of 1. Any body know if this is true?

Members don't see this ad.

I had heard this from the Pain PD at UK last year (going to 2 years), but I had not heard about limiting the fellows to Anes only (leaving out PM&R, Psych, Neuro). Others in the loop may have more current data.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that anesthesiology is limting the board to anesthesias only and not pmr anymore and that its going to turn into tow years instead of 1. Any body know if this is true?

Not true. But it is true that Anesthesia holds 99% of the power in the pain fellowships and the power just increased in 2007 due to some ACGME legislation that was passed at the behest of the Anesthesiologists without a good fight from PM&R. It was partly our own fault.

why are we always losing these fights!!! haha

Not true. But it is true that Anesthesia holds 99% of the power in the pain fellowships and the power just increased in 2007 due to some ACGME legislation that was passed at the behest of the Anesthesiologists without a good fight from PM&R. It was partly our own fault.

can you give details of the new change in power?
and is every one also saying that it won't turn into 2 years?

Maybe because we are mostly Type B personalities as physiatrists? We are not aggressive enough.

I'm pretty aggressive and stubborn at times. I'm also a master manipulator! Somebody teach me the ways of advocacy !!!!

Start with the IM/FM residents at your own institution.

You'll have a much easier time convincing them than old PCPs who have been practicing for 30+ years.

I think it's more that the first wave of PM&R pain docs (if you want to call it that) are now in their 40s.

I had a hard time dealing with it b/c i there was a LOT of incompetence around. The attendings, nurses, clerks, social workers, and some of the therapists quite frankly did not do a good job. That left the majority of the burden of getting the patient what they needed in terms of quality care on your shoulders. Now, I'm sure this varies from hospital to hospital, but I think that you will find, in general, that rehab hospitals employ lower quality nursing, pharmacists, and support staff. Thats a lot of crap to deal with that I wasnt willing to do.

that last post was supposed to go in a different thread. dont know how that happened....