future of osteopathy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milunn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the future of osteopathic medicine as it applies to current medical issues, such as prescription drug plans? Also, is OMM covered by insurance?

Members don't see this ad.

That is a good question, and one that I was sure to ask myself and research before attending osteopathic school. It is a fact that Americans spend more money on alternative therapy (i.e. herbal remedy, accupressure, eastern medicine, etc.) than they did on mainstream medicine. There is a patient move to more alternative treatments of disease and illness and those patients are more likely to see an osteopath. Traditionally osteopaths have been more open-minded to alternative therapy. The vast majority of M.D.'s dismiss herbs, accupressure, chiropractors, etc. as foolish. Lucky for osteopaths, we're right in the middle. We offer all the foundation and skill of mainstream medicine along with the "grab-bag" of alternative therapy. A patient in true pain would much rather be healed without the side effects of drug therapy. The move to treating the body and not just the disease (which is the entire basis of osteopathic medicine) is gaining momentum among allopathic educators. You could not pick a better time to be entering the osteopathic field.

By the way, manipulation is 100% chargeable to HMO's and insurance companies. The last I heard was that osteopaths were getting $55 for a 15 minute treatment ($220/hr, not too bad).

Thanks for your reply. The reason I asked the question was to see if people thought the same of the professions as I do. I guess I got the answer I was looking for. I just think it is important for people to know the options that they have. Consequently, Osteopathic medicine is a great option.

In spite of any mind over matter, acupuncture, chiropractic manipulation, osteopathic manipulation, herbs, or what have you - drugs are always going to be a fact of life with any medical practice - ostepathic or allopathic. No one expects you to treat cancer with intractable pain without drugs. In order to provide humane medicine, chemical intervention will be required. Patients at the end of life, those under hospice care, comfort is what is required.

Medicare guidelines are much more strict with regard to payment for OMM than HMO's (who are eliminating Medicare plans right and left), and there is an annual limit of $900 in covered charges (Medicare pays $720 of the $900). You won't get rich on that. As our population ages, Medicare is a definite concern and will require some lobbying to get improved manipulation coverage.