Future of Temple....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AKAawesome

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I spoke with a dental student in who expressed some concern for my decision to going to Temple. He said that he asked one of his prof's about Temple who actually taught there. Apparently, over the years a lot of good professors have moved on to more lucrative jobs with different Universities. Please, I'm not spreading rumors or anything, but if anyone has heard anything about Temple's future I would like to know. Apparently, this professor doesn't think that Temple will be around that much longer...which is a serious concern. Granted who ever is enrolled will be able to finish their program...but how will that affect the prestige factor...and going to a school that went out of business? I don't know...I'm confused...I'm just looking for some help in this area and I'll post any research I can find...After seeing the school and what they have to offer...I really wanna go there...however I wanna know what I'm getting into.

-Concerned

PS It could always be a professor talking smack about a school for which he had a bad experience...he could be full of it!

Members don't see this ad.

Professors are just like everyone else. They'll move to greener pastures. If I were you I really would not worry about professors moving away from a program. Usually if they have done well at an institution it is a sign that the institution was good to them as well. You will find that the new profs will probably be just as good and enthusiastic. A lot of your learning really isn't dependent on your professor. You get what you put into the course or program.

I cant see how Temple could go downhill given the fact that they are the second oldest dental school, and that they have one of the best patient pools in the country.

Regarding the professor....it may be true, but I think no matter what discipline your in, a professor would jump at the opportunity to teach at a prestigous Ivy League University. Can you blame them? This doesnt mean that Temple is bad. Im sure no one can deny that schools such as Harvard and Columbia have the top professors in research, so if one is interested in research, then Ivy League is the way to go. HOWEVER, Ivy League means NOTHING for dental students who just want to learn dentistry.

For instance, I goto one of the top universities in Canada and do chemistry. Im sure most of my professors are the top in the chemistry field, but that doesnt mean they are going to teach any better than someone from a less prestigous university. I dont think I got any advantage in my chemistry background because of this. Whereever you go, chemistry is chemistry.....just like with dentistry.

WHerever you go, dentistry is dentistry, regardless if your professor is the president of Crest or Dr. John Smith from Ohio!

Members don't see this ad :)
Temple University as a whole is fine. But Temple dental has been rumored to be on its last legs. I've heard this too, mainly from the people I met at other dental schools.

who are these other students your talking about Dream?

From the students I talked to at all my interviews, they just bash Temple solely on its neighborhood. I find this funny, because other schools such as Columbia are in bad areas as well. I wonder if Temple had Ivy League status, would perceptions about it change...hmmmmm......

Anyways, I talked with many practicing dentists and professors up here in Toronto, and all of them have said that Temple is renowned for its clinical excellence....so its rep has gone across the border.

I shadowed a dentist who graduated 2 years ago from UoP. He mentioned the rumors about the longevity of Temple, also some students at Tufts and BU heard the same thing.

The key word is rumor, they aren't fact, and should be treated that way. Thats why I spent my money to fly to Philly and interview there.

If there was 100% certainty that Temple wouldn't be around, I wouldnt have bothered to go.

interesting stuff.....there must be some reason why these rumours are being started....

I wonder why current Temple students arent interjecting here with what they know. WHere is Cusp, GoLakers, GTchick, and others?

If Temple is anywhere near closing I haven't heard it and I am there every day. I haven't heard anyone mention it and rumors go through my class extremely fast. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Ok, so I got some information regarding this issue from a professor at Temple who told me to remain anonymous. I have been in contact with this professor for a while now, because he/she was helping me with my choice of Columbia Vs. Temple and has been VERY honest, helpful and friendly. He/she is not Temple-biased at all (in fact, told me if I wanted to get involved in international public health, I should goto Columbia for its name).......anyways, this prof's credibility cannot be questioned.

Anyways, when I questioned about this whole Temple going down issue, he/she said it was absurd and then explained. They explained to me the whole process of dental school funding and explained in the 80s how some dental schools went under. The prof told me that dental schools are very expensive to operate and most dental schools dont break even. However, for the past 5 years, Temple has been the rare exception and has actually had a surplus of money. Why? Because Temple is the #1 provider of Medicaid in the Philadelphia county. There are only 9 dentists in Philly that work with Medicaid, so Temple is the main provider (explains their huge patient pool). The state of Pennsylvania constantly gives Temple money because of this reason. The prof told me that Temple is actually a dental school that is one of the strongest in the US and will be one of the last to go under, because if it ever went under, than the State of Pennsylvania would be screwed, and they would never allow this to happen. This is exactly what I thought, and didnt understand how these rumours were being started and on what basis?

So this is straight from the horse's mouth and should assure the OP that he has nothing to worry about going to Temple. By the way, this prof still insists I goto Columbia if Im interested in public health but goto Temple if I want a lot of clinical experience.

I too have heard nothing about Temple going under. No one is talking about Temple being in dire straits in fact this post is the first time that I have heard this. Probably just a professor not getting enough moneyor whatever and pissed off with the hierachy of the school.

I've heard nothing also. I feel we have decent professor's here for the most part. One or two aren't but you will find that anywhere. I haven't been disappointed with my choice and, quite frankly, enjoy my experience here and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Good classmates, good profs, good education,good city, good food...crappy football team(Eagles and Owls) :laugh: It'll be a shame if they decide to call it quits but I'll be proud to know I was a part of it while it lasted.

I'm a second year and involved with stud gov. I would hear anything, even the smallest little rumor from the meetings I attend and people I talk with. Temple is completely fine. What does someone who went to UoP, 3,000 miles away know about what goes on in Philly? The school just built a museum in the school and dumped an awful lot of money into new carpets and paint for the building. Does a school that is going under or on the verge of closing decided to paint up the place and make it look great right before it goes under, I doubt it. I think people start these rumors because they have beef with someone at the other school or didn't get in. Temple is fine and I would love to talk to anyone who has solid information to prove otherwise.

T2006

Originally posted by Temple 2006
Temple is completely fine. What does someone who went to UoP, 3,000 miles away know about what goes on in Philly?
T2006

Thats what I thought too, so I didnt put too much stock in what he said.

AvingGupta, I just wanted to thank you cause your message made me feel a whole lot better.

-AKAawesome

No problem bud....dont listen to rumours about Temple.....If it were Ivy League, no one would be talking **** about it.....

Another good reason to come to Philly...Terrell Owens:clap:

Originally posted by avingupta
No problem bud....dont listen to rumours about Temple.....If it were Ivy League, no one would be talking **** about it.....

i dunno..i think people can find stuff to talk about any school...ivy league or not...(i.e."harvard makes deans not dentists", etc...just a quote i heard....don't shoot the messenger..)

on a lighter note...i think terrell owens is stalking me...first in san fran...now here?! my gosh! i think i need protection. =oP actually i brought out my ear plugs and will have them ready for next football season so i don't have to hear any of his b$(# or whining when the eagles keep loosing and he keeps dropping balls in the snow.

Originally posted by cusp of carabelli
i dunno..i think people can find stuff to talk about any school...ivy league or not...(i.e."harvard makes deans not dentists", etc...just a quote i heard....don't shoot the messenger..)

on a lighter note...i think terrell owens is stalking me...first in san fran...now here?! my gosh! i think i need protection. =oP actually i brought out my ear plugs and will have them ready for next football season so i don't have to hear any of his b$(# or whining when the eagles keep loosing and he keeps dropping balls in the snow.

not a bad stalker to have :) can he get us tickets to the niner games? :p

Originally posted by cusp of carabelli
=oP actually i brought out my ear plugs and will have them ready for next football season so i don't have to hear any of his b$(# or whining when the eagles keep loosing and he keeps dropping balls in the snow.
Definitely a primadonna but still one of the top reciever's in the league. Maybe it'll get Stinkston and Trash to step up there games a little bit more...afterall, there going to be more wide open then ever. This is going to be an exciting season:thumbup:

Ok I was being more specific towards the school's neighbourhood. Temple is such a good school, but people's sole reason to hate it is its area. However, Columbia's area is not that shiny as well, but people seem to forget about that, when they get their Columbia acceptence. Its obvious these people are seduced by the "Tommy Hilfiger" degree.

Originally posted by avingupta
I cant see how Temple could go downhill given the fact that they are the second oldest dental school, and that they have one of the best patient pools in the country.

Just like Northwestern, home of the great GV Black, and one of the first dental schools in the country.

Bye, bye Northwestern.

That isn't to say that the comment about Temple is true, I personally believe it isn't.

It does show, however, that nothing is certain. Even great schools can go down the tubes.