Future plans & attempt at DO - Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiritsugu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st degree
B.Sc - Biology Major with a 2.5 degree GPA
2nd degree:
B.Comm - Finance Major with an anticipated 3.9 degree GPA (equivalent semester hours as the first degree)
MCAT: 510 (127/127/128/128)

I've retaken several courses and my cGPA is 3.20 and my sGPA is 3.24 with grade replacements at this point in time. I'll be retaking more courses in addition to my business courses over the next little while (already doing 7 courses per semester) and a few more during the summer. If everything goes as well as it continues to, I'd anticipate my cGPA to be 3.4-3.5 and my sGPA to be 3.5-3.6. Nonetheless, I'm limited by Canadian schools who only look at more recent stats. My ECs are extensive aside from shadowing which will be worked on.

Would it wise to apply to DO in the next application cycle with my scenario? Additionally, if I were to not take the summer replacement courses (I do have a full time opportunity available at a bank), my cGPA/sGPA would only be in the 3.3-3.4 range. Should I still apply then or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks for reading this far!

EDIT: Edited down to make it quicker to read.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
will your replacement courses be done by july or august? i think you should apply DO next summer. the short list of DO schools that accept Canadians are quit competitive to get into, and your MCAT score is good :thumbup:
if your courses end by july, you'll be able to apply early for the DO cycle. if in august, still OK but not super ideal

will your replacement courses be done by july or august? i think you should apply DO next summer. the short list of DO schools that accept Canadians are quit competitive to get into, and your MCAT score is good :thumbup:
if your courses end by july, you'll be able to apply early for the DO cycle. if in august, still OK but not super ideal

Unfortunately, it seems 2/3 of the courses will take until August and 1/3 will end before July at my university. I may look into this further and see if I can take these courses at an alternate university that may end sooner/online options. Thanks for the assessment.

Members don't see this ad :)
i see. how many courses r you going to take?

i see. how many courses r you going to take?

It's equivalent to 6 semester courses (maximum that I'm allowed to take). They were awfully low grades hence a larger jumper in GPA with grade replacement.