G chem destroyer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utdent20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out # 47, can someone explain to me what this i is, the Van Hoff factor, I am not understanding it and where all does it occur?
Consider an NaNO3 solution at 0.C calculate the osmotic pressure of a .20M solution assuming 100% dissociation.

# 48 is there any easier way to do this? the explanation is complicated..
Consider the following:
2A(g)+B(g)=2C(g)
.50 atm of A and .20 atm of B are places in a flask at 300 K. At equlibrium, the total pressure is found to be .60 atm. Calculate Kp ..
# 62, then there is Normality.. When do I know to use Normality and not M1V1..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Post the entire questions please.
And now thank you for posting lol. Otherwise this post oulda looked wierd, i had to edit it lol.

Last edited:
van hoff factor is the number of ions in the products, so if the reactants was BaCl2 it would be Ba+ + 2Cl- so 3 van hoff factors, If it were C6H12O6, this would not dissociate so you would only get 1 van hoff factor. remember this with finding molality

48 is just using an ICE chart, which can be used on all K type problems,

Normality is used with salts and somewhat like van hoff, Ca(OH)2 has 2 OH groups so you can not use MV=MV unless the other product was say H2S04 2 H. Since it is Ca(OH)2 and HBr we cant use the MV=MV, we have to use NV=NV

Use Normal if there is are multiple OH- or H+

van hoff factor is the number of ions in the products, so if the reactants was BaCl2 it would be Ba+ + 2Cl- so 3 van hoff factors, If it were C6H12O6, this would not dissociate so you would only get 1 van hoff factor. remember this with finding molality

48 is just using an ICE chart, which can be used on all K type problems,

Normality is used with salts and somewhat like van hoff, Ca(OH)2 has 2 OH groups so you can not use MV=MV unless the other product was say H2S04 2 H. Since it is Ca(OH)2 and HBr we cant use the MV=MV, we have to use NV=NV

Use Normal if there is are multiple OH- or H+

i have a question on this too!.. the book does - values for the x.. whyyyy

Members don't see this ad :)