g

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1099661

g

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your friend to make an account and fill in the WAMC grid that is linked above. Based on what you’ve shared there is really no way to know except that his stats seem to be fine. But that means nothing really.

Reactions: 2 users
Ask your friend to make an account and fill in the WAMC grid that is linked above. Based on what you’ve shared there is really no way to know except that his stats seem to be fine. But that means nothing really.
unfortunately he'd rather I post. where is the grid? he wants to know what schools he'd be competitive for

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s stickied right above . It’s says IMPORTANT etc...
Your friend should also use the MSAR to develop a list of schools that fits his stats, where he lives, where he wants to live, etc..
You are a good friend but he should do it himself. It’s a learning thing and he might have questions based on what people say.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s stickied right above . It’s says IMPORTANT etc...
Your friend should also use the MSAR to develop a list of schools that fits his stats, where he lives, where he wants to live, etc..
You are a good friend but he should do it himself. It’s a learning thing and he might have questions based on what people say.
I still don't see what you're seeing and no unfortunately I will still be posting for him to maintain his anonymity! Sorry though thank you for the advice!

Your clinical experiences are lacking. Shadowing is a separate section. You need 50 hours of shadowing including some with a primary care doc. So find a PCP and shadow for a couple of days. It seems, from what you shared, you have no clinical experiences in the USA. You need 200+ hours of clinical experience with face to face patient contact. It can be paid or volunteered but it should be in America. Your experience abroad could be useful as a compare/contrast of the medical systems. But you have to find a way to become familiar with the American medical system. How long was this pre-med internship? I’m assuming it was a week or two. Be aware that many ADCOMS consider similar programs voluntourism and they aren’t impressed with it.
For nonclinical volunteering you need 200+ hours of service to the underserved/unserved in your community. You should be looking for opportunities to help those less fortunate than yourself. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Medicine is a service profession and certainly a profession that serves all kinds of people, people very different from yourself. So start looking for places were you can volunteer- homeless shelters, soup kitchens, VA homes, assisted living homes, camps for underprivileged kids, etc..
Are your two publications in print, in process or submitted?

Reactions: 1 user
Your clinical experiences are lacking. Shadowing is a separate section. You need 50 hours of shadowing including some with a primary care doc. So find a PCP and shadow for a couple of days. It seems, from what you shared, you have no clinical experiences in the USA. You need 200+ hours of clinical experience with face to face patient contact. It can be paid or volunteered but it should be in America. Your experience abroad could be useful as a compare/contrast of the medical systems. But you have to find a way to become familiar with the American medical system. How long was this pre-med internship? I’m assuming it was a week or two. Be aware that many ADCOMS consider similar programs voluntourism and they aren’t impressed with it.
For nonclinical volunteering you need 200+ hours of service to the underserved/unserved in your community. You should be looking for opportunities to help those less fortunate than yourself. Get off campus and out of your comfort zone. Medicine is a service profession and certainly a profession that serves all kinds of people, people very different from yourself. So start looking for places were you can volunteer- homeless shelters, soup kitchens, VA homes, assisted living homes, camps for underprivileged kids, etc..
Are your two publications in print, in process or submitted?
I'm not sure how long their premed internship was and I don't know about their publications aside from what they wrote for me. I already went to med school and was accepted to 7 MDs when I applied! Guess I'm a little shocked since I had so many interviews with a 3.5/502 and NO clinical experience lol.😂

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure how long their premed internship was and I don't know about their publications aside from what they wrote for me. I already went to med school and was accepted to 7 MDs when I applied!
I know you are a med student. And I’m sure you can tell your friend is lacking in several areas. Hopefully he isn’t applying for a couple of years. He does have good stats. But to apply without clinical experiences or non clinical volunteering would be a big mistake. That’s why it would be so much better for you to be out of the loop. He could ask questions, clear up misconceptions etc. without a middleman. But it is what it is.

I know you are a med student. And I’m sure you can tell your friend is lacking in several areas. Hopefully he isn’t applying for a couple of years. He does have good stats. But to apply without clinical experiences or non clinical volunteering would be a big mistake. That’s why it would be so much better for you to be out of the loop. He could ask questions, clear up misconceptions etc. without a middleman. But it is what it is.
I know but he preferred this. I guess I'm shocked since my stats were a 3.5/502 and NO clinical experience lolll. And my other friend who was accepted with me had 5 interviews and a 3.5/501 lol. interesting lol.😂