G1, s, g2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone educate me on what these mean? Which is the longest, which is the shortest, what happens in each?

Members don't see this ad.

S - DNA replication
G2 - cell prepares to divide
G1 - Synthesis of mitochondria, ribosomes, and some proteins

Order is S, G2, P, M, A, T, G1

Thanks thats cool. So is G1 the longest phase of interphase?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks thats cool. So is G1 the longest phase of interphase?
Yes, the longest phase is the interphase. Just think of all that happens in this phase:
-Spindle apparatus forms.
-Nuclear envelop disappears.
-Chromosomes start moving around.
-Inmeiosis (Homologous pairs form tetrads)

G1 is the longest phase in interphase (whoa! say that 3X's fast), then S and G2.

increasing order for Interphase:

G2<S<G1

For mitosis...I think the longest is anaphase. can anyone verify this or put the phases of mitosis in increasing order?

G1 is the longest phase in interphase (whoa! say that 3X's fast), then S and G2.

increasing order for Interphase:

G2<S<G1

For mitosis...I think the longest is anaphase. can anyone verify this or put the phases of mitosis in increasing order?

Prophase is longest, anaphase is shortest. That's kind of an esoteric bit of trivia though. Just remember that all of mitosis is shortest, G1 longest

Yes, the longest phase is the interphase. Just think of all that happens in this phase:
-Spindle apparatus forms.
-Nuclear envelop disappears.
-Chromosomes start moving around.
-Inmeiosis (Homologous pairs form tetrads)

Hmm are you saying it's G1 or M phase the longest?
I think you meant to say G1 if you're agreeing with the first post. But what you're describing is actually the M phase (mitosis or meosis according to your last item)

I agree with UCB05. Mitosis is shortest and in mitosis, Anaphase is fastest (about 5-10 minutes). Although I'm not positive that prophase is the longest.

S - DNA replication
G2 - cell prepares to divide
G1 - Synthesis of mitochondria, ribosomes, and some proteins

Order is S, G2, P, M, A, T, G1

what are P, A, and T?

and I thought M is the shortest among G1, S, G2, M. I remember reading that M is only 10% of the cycle.

what are P, A, and T?

and I thought M is the shortest among G1, S, G2, M. I remember reading that M is only 10% of the cycle.

Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase Telophase. lol. yea M is the shortest its mitosis phase, and G1 is longest because it is preparing everything, mitochondria, etc, etc.

what are P, A, and T?

Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase

I think that post was giving the chronological order, not which one is longer. Yes Mitosis is shortest.

Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase Telophase. lol. yea M is the shortest its mitosis phase, and G1 is longest because it is preparing everything, mitochondria, etc, etc.

He said Order is S, G2, P, M, A, T, G1.

so does that mean he is wrong because PMAT = M = should be shorter than S and G2?

and I think A is the shortest from PMAT.

so does that mean he is wrong because PMAT = M = should be shorter than S and G2?

Yea anaphase is def the shortest and out of mitosis i believe prophase is the longest but out of M phase, G1, G2 and S phase, G1 is the longest and M(mitosis) is the shortest

Anaphase is the shortest phase in Mitosis

M-phase (mitosis) is the shortest phase out of the 4 cell cycle phases (M, G1, S, G2)

Not sure what you're talking about here. I didn't mention anything about the length of each phase in my post.

I agee that out of S, G2, M, and G1; G1 is the longest and M is the shortest.

Out of P, M, A, T; A is shortest.`

Not sure what you're talking about here. I didn't mention anything about the length of each phase in my post.

I agee that out of S, G2, M, and G1; G1 is the longest and M is the shortest.

Out of P, M, A, T; A is shortest.`

Oh sorry, I thought u put the increasing order instead of chronological order.