Gallstone Pancreatitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the highest lipase level you guys have ever seen?

Had a 35 year old woman, seen 4 days prior with biliary colic, referred to the surgery clinic the next morning. Well since her pain was better, she thought she wouldn't go. Comes in last night complaining of 5 hours of severe abdominal pain, nausea/vomiting (numerous times), etc. No fevers, no chills.

Her labs? Of course she now has a white count (16), bili, AST, ALT, and alk phos are through the roof, but the real kicker is her lipase...

28,000!

I've never seen a lipase that high before! Needless to say she wasn't managed on an outpatient basis this time. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. That is really high. The hightest I have seen was in the 5000's.

Definately wasn't managed as an outpatient.

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
Somethings that are impressively high are Southerndoc and Apollyon's post counts.

Q, DO
Thanks for pointing that out Quinn.

Re: Ransons...

White count greater than 16: check
Glucose greater than 200: check
AST greater than 250: check
LDH greater than 350: check
age > 55: finally no check

4 points on the Ransons: 60-70% mortality

Ability to remember that in your head: good job

Knowing that your memory might be wrong and you screwed up the criteria: priceless

By the way, Ranson's has only been studied for alcoholic pancreatitis, not gallstone pancreatitis, right? (Maybe I'm wrong here.)

Meh, ranson's shmansons. Why ruin the fun of amazingly high lab values with something as boring as ransons?

And remember, its not the size of the lab value that matters. Its what you do with it.
:p

QuinnNSU said:
Somethings that are impressively high are Southerndoc and Apollyon's post counts.

Q, DO

Huh? Wha? Hey! I wuz WORKIN' to-night! Peds ED, 12 y/o kid, stroked out 2 months ago, back with same s/s, pyloric stenosis in a 19 day old, fever, corneal abrasion (harmonica to the eye), testicular torsion that spontaneously detorsed, and Dermabond! (Oh, and the fine, fine, FINE surgery senior! Hell, yeah! She is "way cool!") (<-- believe it or don't - an attractive, normal, single, female surgery resident)

Apollyon said:
(Oh, and the fine, fine, FINE surgery senior! Hell, yeah! She is "way cool!") (<-- believe it or don't - an attractive, normal, single, female surgery resident)

there are plenty of us, silly :p