GALWAY vs TRINITY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bawds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both Galway and Trinity and have about 1 day to make a decision. Please help! All comments, positive and negative are welcomed. Is one better then the other? Is one more recognized in North America as far as getting residency? Any comments are great! Thanks so much.

Also if any is going to either say hi! I am a 23 year old female from Alberta Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

Both are quite nice. Trinity might be slightly more recognized because of it being a tourist attraction and having a longer history. The NUIG campus itself is lovely, and they have a very good sports complex. The city is cute and fairly quiet (smaller) in comparison to Dublin. Dublin is like another big city...more hectic. I'm not sure how Galway operates, but at the moment, Trinity isn't the best at being supportive of students which can be extremely aggravating.

Galway is nice and quaint but it's a small school and it's rainy there. There are hardly any foreign students although the entire first year med class last year was female I heard.

Go to Trinity, it's well recognized and a bigger school.

Leorl... your tune has changed 180 degrees in the last 3 months. Care to elaborate on your experience this year? Your finals must be almost over. When you just bash the school with no explanation it's hard to seperate you from the other trolls around here. Maybe Leorl = student.ie? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
AHAHAH! yeah, I'll write a big long post soon. I'm not as extreme as student.ie but there were some things that happened this year which are pretty inexcusable and left all of us with a bad taste in our mouths. Not saying this will happen to future years, but I'll elaborate more when I have time. Finals are done, I'm now a doc and staying here for intern year so have to find an apt and move out within the next week!

Congratulations Leorl!

So you'll be staying for an additional year! Maybe when I head over to Trinity you can become my doc. ;)

It's too bad that TCD is having some issues. It was one of the reasons why I was debating whether to go or not. However, a lot can happen in 5 years. Congratulations on completing Med School :hardy:

Bawds,

Just curious, what were your stats?

I'm also from Alberta. The land of rising costs!

Thanks

Firemed

Hey
I'll be going to NUI Galway this September. I haven't heard a whole lot about the school, but everything I've heard has been good. It'd be great to hear more about the school and from students that go there or will be going in September because there isn't much out there. I'm a 24 year old female from Ontario Canada.

Firemed,

I live in Edmonton. Where abouts to you live in Alberta? Are you going to Galway? Stats..as far...??

Danstett,

Where are you living come september? Dorms or renting? Maybe we could talk more through msn if you have it. let me know.

I just sent in a deposit for Dunaras residence yesterday. It's about a 25 minute walk from campus, but they still have single rooms left, which was what I wanted. I sent out emails to a bunch of the other residences and it seemed like a lot of them have filled up, but Dunaras still has quite a few rooms left if you're looking. If you want to get me on msn it's [email protected]

Bawds,

I'm living Wainwright. My stats pretty much suck, which is why I didn't get any love from any of the 7 schools I applied for this year. I was hoping for more emphasis on experience and maturity (I'm 28 and have been a FF/EMT for 4 yrs, as well as an Army medic in the reserves). I never applied to Galway. I think I will this coming year, though.

Good luck.

Firemed

I am interested to know if anyone else is going to Galway in Septmember. Where are you living? I am looking for a roomate/roomates to rent with. Let me know.

Firemed,

Went to University in the states and finished with honors in Bio and Psych. Played varsity Field Hockey and was able to get some clinical experience. Didn't do so well on the MCAT but marks are great. You seem to have a lot of life experience under your belt...my first year applying i didn't get accepted into any Canadian schools. Don't be discouraged and re-apply for next year. Still waiting to hear from some this year but decided to go the Ireland route. Did you just apply to Canadian schools this year or where else?

I applied to U alberta, U manitoba, U calgary, and the four ABP Irish schools.