Gap between 3rd/4th yr vs. after 4th yr

Started by medstuffs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medstuffs

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. So I already posted a thread about what I can do to improve myself for residency, but wanted to address this part specifically, so thought I'd make a new thread.. I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. Essentially, my situation is that I have the option to 1) finish med school just past the 4 yr mark (would finish up August 2015), and leave myself 10 months of time to fill with research, volunteer, etc or 2) finish up my third year in November, take an elective in dec, and take spring semester off to take step 2, research, volunteer, etc and start 4th year with the class below me.

The dean at my school is saying it's better to finish school as soon as possible to show residencies I only missed graduating 4 years "by a little bit." Does that sound right? I suppose this way I'd also have more time off to beef up CV and would be free as a bird interview season for any last minute cancelations that opened up. But I had also read that it's better not to have a gap between school and residency so you don't forget things. What would be a riskier schedule?

I should also mention that I have been assured by the dean that as long as I graduate after July 1,2015 I would be considered a Senior and not a Graduate for 2016 match.

Thanks for the input!