Gap between residency and first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesauce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have a contract that starts later (say October 1st or so), what are the options for bridging the gap in terms of income, health insurance, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

If I have a contract that starts later (say October 1st or so), what are the options for bridging the gap in terms of income, health insurance, etc?

If they offer a sign on bonus, that's often what it's used for - to support you until you start working.

You could consider a locums job or moonlighting until your job officially starts, as well.

If they offer a sign on bonus, that's often what it's used for - to support you until you start working.

You could consider a locums job or moonlighting until your job officially starts, as well.

Thanks. What about insurance? Do I need to hit the private insurance market for those 2 months?

I took 2 months off after residency. I started putting money back each month to cover those 2 months. For insurance I used blue cross short term policy.