Gap year advice for next cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soprano123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m planning to reapply next year and could use some advice on activities I should be doing during this current gap year. I applied last year and got one DO interview. The interview went well and at the end of it, the interviewer even told me I did great. I still didn’t get in and I tried contacting the school for feedback, but no luck.

Here’s my information:

First MCAT, 2015: 495 (125,123,124,123)

Second MCAT, 2016: 501 (124, 124, 125, 128)

cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.9

Graduated with a BS in Biology in 2015

I rushed both attempts and I definitely shouldn’t have (I didn’t even cover a third of the material, but rushed to get a score so I could apply). I’m taking my time with it now, although I realize 3 scores aren’t ideal.

ECs:

5 years of research in a biological psychology lab (3 years as a manager), 9 posters, no pubs; some of this was taken under credit, some as volunteer, and some hours were paid depending on grant funding.

4 years teaching undergraduate science labs at my university

400 hours clinical volunteering (about 150 hours came from an internship that I received academic credit for) across 4 institutions (2 that provided care for underserved populations)

70 hours non-clinical volunteering (miscellaneous)

2 years in an officer position for a club on campus

200 hours shadowing (mostly from 14 different surgical sub-specialties; 50 hours from primary care)

TA for a semester for a physiological psychology course

Worked at family’s business

Award from my university, 3 awards from research poster presentations, academic scholarship

Most of my LORs are presumed to be excellent – coming from my research PIs and professor for the labs I taught – all who have known me for many years. My other LORs are assumed to be very good. Most of my letter writers can make updates for next year. I think I will just have 2 letters that may not get updated (one from 2015 from a clinical supervisor and another from 2016 from a DO), but my science and non-science letters will be updated for the 2018 cycle.

My PS was reviewed and edited by multiple professors and I have been told it’s very strong, but I know I will need to re-write it for next year’s application to show growth/improvement. I completed all of my secondaries last year by September (2 state MD schools, 11 DO schools), but will reapply the first day it’s open next year.

I am now in my second gap year and this is what I’m doing:
Studying to retake my MCAT
Taking 2 classes - a botany class because I need a new science faculty LOR and a foreign language class (for fun)
Paid research position in the same lab I’ve been in for 5 years (supervising and managing studies, running subjects, hiring and training new research assistants, helping grad students, and more)

My last experience in a clinical setting was in 2015, so I’m definitely thinking I should start volunteering again, but I don’t know if adcoms will think much of it since I already have a decent amount of volunteer experience. Should I still go ahead and volunteer or get a paid position at this point (as a scribe, CNA, etc)?

I was also thinking of doing more non-clinical volunteer work to add to my application (such as Big Brothers Big Sisters or working at the local food bank).

Is there any other area that I’m lacking in that I’ve missed?

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I’m planning to reapply next year and could use some advice on activities I should be doing during this current gap year. I applied last year and got one DO interview. The interview went well and at the end of it, the interviewer even told me I did great. I still didn’t get in and I tried contacting the school for feedback, but no luck.

Here’s my information:

First MCAT, 2015: 495 (125,123,124,123)

Second MCAT, 2016: 501 (124, 124, 125, 128)

cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.9

Graduated with a BS in Biology in 2015

I rushed both attempts and I definitely shouldn’t have (I didn’t even cover a third of the material, but rushed to get a score so I could apply). I’m taking my time with it now, although I realize 3 scores aren’t ideal.

ECs:

5 years of research in a biological psychology lab (3 years as a manager), 9 posters, no pubs; some of this was taken under credit, some as volunteer, and some hours were paid depending on grant funding.

4 years teaching undergraduate science labs at my university

400 hours clinical volunteering (about 150 hours came from an internship that I received academic credit for) across 4 institutions (2 that provided care for underserved populations)

70 hours non-clinical volunteering (miscellaneous)

2 years in an officer position for a club on campus

200 hours shadowing (mostly from 14 different surgical sub-specialties; 50 hours from primary care)

TA for a semester for a physiological psychology course

Worked at family’s business

Award from my university, 3 awards from research poster presentations, academic scholarship

Most of my LORs are presumed to be excellent – coming from my research PIs and professor for the labs I taught – all who have known me for many years. My other LORs are assumed to be very good. Most of my letter writers can make updates for next year. I think I will just have 2 letters that may not get updated (one from 2015 from a clinical supervisor and another from 2016 from a DO), but my science and non-science letters will be updated for the 2018 cycle.

My PS was reviewed and edited by multiple professors and I have been told it’s very strong, but I know I will need to re-write it for next year’s application to show growth/improvement. I completed all of my secondaries last year by September (2 state MD schools, 11 DO schools), but will reapply the first day it’s open next year.

I am now in my second gap year and this is what I’m doing:
Studying to retake my MCAT
Taking 2 classes - a botany class because I need a new science faculty LOR and a foreign language class (for fun)
Paid research position in the same lab I’ve been in for 5 years (supervising and managing studies, running subjects, hiring and training new research assistants, helping grad students, and more)

My last experience in a clinical setting was in 2015, so I’m definitely thinking I should start volunteering again, but I don’t know if adcoms will think much of it since I already have a decent amount of volunteer experience. Should I still go ahead and volunteer or get a paid position at this point (as a scribe, CNA, etc)?

I was also thinking of doing more non-clinical volunteer work to add to my application (such as Big Brothers Big Sisters or working at the local food bank).

Is there any other area that I’m lacking in that I’ve missed?

Any advice is appreciated!

Just focus on that MCAT. A 505+ and you're in good shape for many DO programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Score higher than your MCAT, chill out.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great GPA. Study your @$$ off for your MCAT.