Gap year advice for unconventional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doglova

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would first suggest that you stop beating yourself up! A 3.6 gpa while dealing with all of those health issues is something to be proud of. Also you are allowed to take time off, you had cancer. I wouldn't ever beat yourself up about having to take that time ever again. You did what you had to do to get through your treatment, and you still maintained grades that a lot of people haven't. I am honestly inspired by your perseverance. I have a lot of serious health issues as well and I can completely relate to feeling defeated and scared of feeling weak. I think the most important thing is to keep your health under control and only bite off what you can handle when it comes to classes/EC/research. You seem to be very dedicated so I have no doubt that you'll be able to accomplish whatever it is you set your mind to. Just try to relax and enjoy yourself and don't push it until you are absolutely ready to.