GAP YEAR advice please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megwill23

Reaction score
hello all!!

I am just looking for any advice/guidance I can get. But my plan didn’t work out this year so I am planning on re-applying in 2021. My undergraduate GPA is 3.5 and science is 3.2. And I got 497 on MCAT. I am definitely going to retake the MCAT. I am trying to figure out how to best stay productive and use the next two years to my advantage to set my application apart.
I currently work at a great company as a registered behavioral technician with children with autism. I am getting a lot of one on one hours with my clients.
I applied to a couple of Masters programs for people wanting to enhance their academic records for re-applying. I so far got accepted into Case Western Masters in Medical Physiology, Boston University SMP.
I also applied to Tufts SMP and Georgetown’s SMP and am still waiting to hear back.
I am wondering if anyone can share light on these programs and if they would be worth the money to help me enhance my resume!
ultimately the goal is to get accepted into medical school and I want to do whatever it takes to get there!!! ◡̈
Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest your main priority should be that MCAT score. Depending on the GPA trend and how long ago undergrad was, maybe even some post-bac courses? Also consider your LORS and what your EC resume is like. If you were an adcom looking at your AMCAS app, would you have a strong idea of who this person is and can you see them becoming a doctor? If there is any hesitancy or uncertainty, work on it immediately. It seems like going DO is your best chance, but that's up to you. I had a 3.4 science and a 30 MCAT = (~509) and was adament about MD and got two interviews. I think my saving grace was my strong LORS, they really advocated for me, and my unique and varied ECs.

I don't think an SMP is best for you. I think they are meant for high MCAT, low GPA people. I may be mistaken though since it's been awhile since I applied. But I think your time is best spent on these other aspects of your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
When their GPAs are <3.4 for MD, OR <3.0 for DO. Or OK GPA with lousy MCAT and poor likelyhood that they'll significantly improve that on a retake

so I feel like I’m right in that range of GPAs. I am retaking the MCAT and hope to do better on it, but that won’t be until this winter/next spring. ultimately I want to be taking classes so I don’t lose momentum, so that’s why I’m trying to decide between a SMP or post bacc classes!

so I feel like I’m right in that range of GPAs. I am retaking the MCAT and hope to do better on it, but that won’t be until this winter/next spring. ultimately I want to be taking classes so I don’t lose momentum, so that’s why I’m trying to decide between a SMP or post bacc classes!
Any rising GPA trends?

Chances will be best with the OH schools (except Case).

Take DIY postbac courses and try an app cycle, and also have DO schools on your list. You still have to retake the MCAT.

Any rising GPA trends?

Chances will be best with the OH schools (except Case).

Take DIY postbac courses and try an app cycle, and also have DO schools on your list. You still have to retake the MCAT.

yes my gpa has been rising over the last 2 years on an upward trend. And yeah I’m not planning on reapplying until the cycle that will start next year in 2021.

Even though I already got accepted into Case’s Masters program, you think I should just do post bacc classes instead?

yes my gpa has been rising over the last 2 years on an upward trend. And yeah I’m not planning on reapplying until the cycle that will start next year in 2021.

Even though I already got accepted into Case’s Masters program, you think I should just do post bacc classes instead?
Is the MS a research MS, or an SMP?

The Boston program will not help for MD. The Case program will. As such, with Case, you don't need to do any DIY post-bac, I assume you;re starting this fall?

yeah I would start this fall. That’s what I was deciding between either doing that program or doing a DIY post-bacc for a year. I’m hearing different things from everyone.

if you have a 3.5 or higher in the program and a 90th percentile or higher MCAT, you are offered an interview
Do you think that you can get a 90th %ile or higher MCAT???

You might not get into the MD school at Case., so here is what you need to do:

For DO: 508 or higher (due to your poor first score)
For OH schools except Case: 510+
For OOS MD schools 513+

Just to add two cents - I feel like your uGPA/sGPA are just high enough that an SMP is overkill (i.e. too expensive and risky for what is necessary in your case) and a DIY postbacc would not only be cheaper, but less of a stress as handpicked upper level choices that are balanced out for your time/capacity; which you could then continue to supplement your time with volunteering/clinical ECs/etc. which are all things to continue doing during gap years.

My general feeling is SMPs are more designed for <3.0 GPAs or perhaps a higher overall uGPA but with downward trend or no improving trend. Either way, obviously your biggest liability stat-wise is your MCAT and no amount of GPA repair is going to rectify that unless you score something solid (510+). For this reason, GPA and MCAT should be focused on separately and be sure not to overwhelm your schedule with trying to do both at once (i.e. give yourself ample time for repairing this application).

If money is no object, SMP vs postbacc will not be too different either way. Just take your time, focus on one thing at a time, don't short-change any of the two, and continuously throw in ECs/volunteering where you can. Best of luck!