Gap Year Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slappysrevenge3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster here. To give some background, I graduated May 2016 from my state school with a B.S. in Psych and minors in Chemistry and Italian, cGPA 3.71 and sGPA 3.66. I took the MCAT twice, in 2015 got a 503 and again in 2016 and went up to 512. This past year I have been teaching English in Europe (Italy specifically) through an ESL program, which I will be finishing in a month. I am applying this cycle to hopefully be accepted and start med school in Fall 2018. I am deciding what to do next year between a couple of options, all clinically related. In the chance that I am not accepted this cycle, I am considering doing a SMP this fall to boost me for next cycle, either through Rosalind Franklin or Loyola in Chicago because I live in the Chicagoland area and have heard good stuff about these programs especially Loyola. My other option is to become EMT certified, make money that year, and maybe take an anatomy course and another science course to brush up on science courses given I've been in Europe for a year and also to get another letter of rec for next cycle. Any advice on which you would recommend? The only reason I would want to do the SMP program this year and not next year in the chance I'm not accepted is because one program offers a committee letter so in order to benefit from it next cycle, I would need to be finished with it by next May and therefore have to do it this fall. My stats are about around the average for matriculated students, and I have done 4 summers of research, have around 1000 hours of nonclinical volunteering, some shadowing, and was also involved with a medical organization in undergrad that gave weekly medical screenings to underserved areas of my university's campus. Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not foresee you having any problems getting interviews with a well targeted list. IMO, an SMP would be a waste of time and money. In the event that you needed to re-apply, it is often beneficial to sit out an application cycle anyway. @gonnif especially emphasizes this.

If I were you, I would get a job to make some money. Clinically related or not. It sounds like you have plenty of experience and have that special pull through your program this year. Apply broadly and to the right schools and you shouldn't have a problem. @gyngyn or @Goro or @Faha might be able to help you with a good school list.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1) SMP would be waste time and money
2) getting EMT and working with it in a real clinical environment. Just driving a transport ambulance is seen as glorified taxi driver. You may be better off in ER or Emergency Service; maybe volunteer.
3) a well-written, coherent, concise, and compelling application and well-thought out school list will make you a solid candidate
Agree 100% with my learned colleague.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are too high for a SMP to worthwhile. Just follow what everyone else has said and get a paid clinical job (MA, EMT, Scribe, etc)