Gap year after 4th year medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perfectlyimperfect

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an MS4 (c/o 2016), and here are the facts
  • I delayed taking my Step 1 after my sophmore year, which subsequently led to me not being able to start 3rd year until November ( my schools rules)
  • I completed 3rd year in November 2015, and was not allowed to participate in the 2015- 2016 match.
  • I finish my rotations in July, but I will technically be a December 2016 graduate and participating in the match this upcoming year.
I have reached out to my schools administration about what opportunities are available to students in my position and only received very vague answers.
I am currently looking for a job, but want to stay involved in research and keep my clinical skills up during this gap year. I have looked into research opportunities, MBA programs but it seems to be geared more towards students that have not yet completed medical school. I just wanted to reach out to someone who understands and inquire about what they did during their gap year and any additional opportunities you all may know of. Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I extended my graduation to December to reapply for the match after failing to match the previous year. The short version is that I attempted to match EM, failed, decided I would be satisfied in IM and didn't like EM enough to make a last ditch effort toward it. Matched this year into IM. I found it difficult to find a full time research position that paid for that semester although I started looking later than you. I didnt really start looking til August. Do you have financial support for that semester? I did not and so full time research/clinical work on a volunteer basis was not an option for me but that may be an option for you. I found a part time ACT/MCAT tutoring gig to pay the bills for that semester while I finished interviewing. You may also consider becoming a scribe at a clinic to keep the clinical experience up. Since you have not yet completed medical school yet you may still be able to get into an MPH/MBA program through next year if you apply around now although your own admin would know more about that. I'm sorry your admin is not being more helpful to you (mine were absolutely worthless at advising), but you have my two cents at least. You can expect that residency programs you applied to will wanna know about the extension too. PM me if you'd like more info.

Reactions: 1 users