gap year before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbutrealdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I will be taking a gap year before dental school for personal reasons.
Is it common for students to take such gap years? How to best spend time during the gap year?

I am a biology major and I would love to get a paid position for a year?
Did anyone of you work at Peace Corps, Thruman, Fulbright, Orthogate, or other paid programs?

Thanks so much in advance for everyone's input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe a gap year is uncommon, but I don't know how many people take one. I personally am in a gap year after getting my Masters. I chose to teach high school science. Not a bad deal. I get paid relatively well and it's a fun topic to talk about in interviews. I considered the Peace Corps and even got accepted to go Vanuatu, but declined last minute because I didn't want to commit to two years

Reactions: 1 user
I don't believe a gap year is uncommon, but I don't know how many people take one. I personally am in a gap year after getting my Masters. I chose to teach high school science. Not a bad deal. I get paid relatively well and it's a fun topic to talk about in interviews. I considered the Peace Corps and even got accepted to go Vanuatu, but declined last minute because I didn't want to commit to two years
Oh it is such a pity it is 2 years. I plan to only take one year off. Do you know of any 1-year options?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh it is such a pity it is 2 years. I plan to only take one year off. Do you know of any 1-year options?
Not with the Peace Corps. They require 27 months unless you qualify for Peace Corps Response (10+ years in your field or Peace Corps volunteer that has successfully completed 27 months in the past)

Not with the Peace Corps. They require 27 months unless you qualify for Peace Corps Response (10+ years in your field or Peace Corps volunteer that has successfully completed 27 months in the past)
thanks kitty roll.
a very general question, but how does one go about finding a job? lol

A lot of my friends have taken a year off or 2 before professional school because of burnout and other reasons. They said it has been one of the best decisions of their lives. Some of them did teaching, some volunteered, some traveled, etc

thanks kitty roll.
a very general question, but how does one go about finding a job? lol
Depends on what you want to do. I had my teaching certificate, so I went to school districts websites and looked for current openings. You can check sites like Indeed, Monster, Craigslist, local newspaper, etc. and see whose hiring. Best way in my opinion is to know someone who can put in a good word with their manager and help get your foot in the door.
Make sure that you have a good resume and cover letter. Also practice your interview skills.

Reactions: 1 user
I took a gap year, as did several of my other classmates (some took 2-3+ years). I am so happy that I took that year off. I worked in a dental office, but other people traveled, taught, etc. It was really nice being able to make some cash :p