gap year before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbutrealdreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I will be taking a gap year before dental school for personal reasons.
Is it common for students to take such gap years? How to best spend time during the gap year?

I am a biology major and I would love to get a paid position for a year?
Did anyone of you work at Peace Corps, Thruman, Fulbright, Orthogate, or other paid programs?

Thanks so much in advance for everyone's input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Very common, average age of most incoming freshman classes is around 24, meaning many people do not come straight from undergrad. I worked as a surgical assistant for an oral surgeon in my gap year. Got a little money, experience in the field, and something to talk about during interviews. Do whatever you want, but most importantly, always be improving your resume, and have fun!

Very common, average age of most incoming freshman classes is around 24, meaning many people do not come straight from undergrad. I worked as a surgical assistant for an oral surgeon in my gap year. Got a little money, experience in the field, and something to talk about during interviews. Do whatever you want, but most importantly, always be improving your resume, and have fun!
i would love to be a surgical assistant! did you get that job through a connection?

Nope, just applied to a local oral surgery group. They had a few different offices around town