Gap year between Senior year and SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drakezyy

Reaction score
I believe that my cGPA/sGPA will be at a 3.00/2.95 after I graduate in May 2021. I most likely need an SMP but I haven't taken the MCAT yet. I will this summer though.

Not having an MCAT will make me miss the deadlines for SMP programs to start in the upcoming fall so I guess I will just have to wait till the next application cycle to get in.

My question is, do I take some science classes in this year off between senior year and the SMP or do I focus on ECs instead?

I calculated what cGPA/sGPA would look like after 30 credits of straight A's, and it will be a 3.20/3.15. What do y'all think??

Members don't see this ad.

30 credits of As will help. What do your extracurriculars look like? While you are in need of GPA repair, you'll still need the typical extracurriculars in order to be competitive for medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
30 credits of As will help. What do your extracurriculars look like? While you are in need of GPA repair, you'll still need the typical extracurriculars in order to be competitive for medical school.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Medical Scribe: 700 hours & still going
Clinical volunteering: 100 hours & counting (volunteering at surgical dept of a hospital)
Non-clinical: 250 hours & counting
(Hospice, Habitat for humanity, Red Cross)
Research: 10 hours (just started my position last week)
I also had a few leadership positions in organisations earlier in my college career.

Members don't see this ad :)

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Will it, though? I have no knowledge in this area, but I thought it's either SMP or DIY, not both, because if the SMP goes well THAT is the remediation, and, if it doesn't, the 30 credits won't mean squat. What am I missing?

Reactions: 1 user
Some people have to do a DIY post bacc because their uGPAS are below the minimum for admittance to the SMP. And after they get to the minimum GPA (I think 3.0) they go to a SMP .

OP if you do a SMP in Fall 2022, you won’t be ready to apply until June 2023 at the earliest. There is no sense in applying without having completed the SMP. To apply without the grades from the SMP serves no purpose. It’s like applying with with what you currently have. And with your sGPA it’s rather foolhardy to take the MCAT without all of those courses you are planning for your DIY post bacc. You obviously have some big gaps in knowledge. Take your time, do it right. Good luck.