Gap Year choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted872469

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Non-trad med student here. I don't think it would be a shot to the foot if you can't afford to live in your current situation. Is that landscape/construction job already promised to you if you move back home? You're allowed to hold a job outside of the medical field, and I think medical schools understand that people need to make a living if they're not going straight from undergrad to med school. It also gives you some life experience outside of standard med stuff. Are there any other job prospects you can apply to? I know you say you don't want to get another position in the area because you can only commit 8 months, but there are no guarantees in life, and what if, worst case scenario, you don't get in this year either?

I took a few years off of school before applying to med school and worked mostly tutoring jobs because they paid well, but I also still continued to volunteer in medically related things on the side. Maybe you can do that too. Work and pick one or two days a week to contribute a few hours to something medical. Volunteering or shadowing.

What makes you skeptical about this cycle based off the AAMC stats? If, for whatever reason you don't get in, look into maybe getting a year long science master's degree and asking med schools what would help you look more competitive to them.

Reactions: 2 users