Gap Year for Non-traditional

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

famousbanker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student who failed to get into dental school last year mainly due to my poor DAT (17 the first time). I got a 23 the second time. GPA is 4.0 in prereq classes and 3.7 cumulative.

I work full time and have been taking most of my prereqs at the local community college in the evenings with 1 upper level bio at a 4yr (Human Physiology)

Heres is what I did-->
Fall 2010
Physics 1
Anatomy
Cell Bio(Introductory level 4 yr)

Spring 2011
Chem 2(4yr)
Organic 1
Human Physiology(4yr)

Summer 2011
Organic 2

Fall 2011
Biochemistry(4yr)
Microbiology

Spring 2012
Zoology
Public Health

Fall 2012
Physics 2

Physics II is my last prereq course. No other upper level bio courses will fit with my work schedule this semester so I am taking it by itself and continuing to shadow at a dental clinic 1 night a week after work. Should I try to pursue some sort of online 1 year medical science masters? A rep at the admissions office for my state dental school said no.

Personally, I hate the idea because it is 25 grand I will have to put on loans. I have tried to do most of this debt free so I have been paying for these classes out of pocket which has been very challenging.

I just wanted to see if there is anything else I should be doing to make myself more competitive to ensure I get in this year. BTW, my wife and I plan on either doing a long term medical missions trip( like 2 months) in the Spring or I will take another upper level bio at 4 yr university(FYI scored 22 in bio second time on DAT), so if someone could comment on that to, it would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

The ONLY thing I can possibly imagine that would be negative for you is that you took a bulk of your pre-reqs at CC while not taking many upper level courses at a 4 year. Some schools don't accept CC credit, while others that do accept CC credit will want to see more upper levels take at a 4 yr.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=938759

All in all, this looks good to me, but just be weary about the CC credit to some schools. Personally, I would take another upper level at a 4 yr instead of the mission trip since you do have many CC credits. Your GPA/DAT score will definitely overshadow a perceived "lack of experience." If you want to do the mission trip for a great experience, then more power to you! But if you are doing it for Dental School, I don' t think it will be THAT important on your application.

Good Luck!

hey famousbanker,

I'm a non-trad student as well and have similar stats but not as high and academic history (bulk pre-req CC and 2 courses at 4 yr) as you. I think you're fine this year, granted you applied early, great extra-curriculars, personal statement, shadowing, etc.

Your previous DAT probably did you in last cycle, but your new DAT score is stellar. While CC credits may not be viewed favorably, you did very well on the DAT. I believe that represents you mastered the material, so some adcoms may look past the CC credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your feedback. I sure hope so. I submitted my app August 15th, so still waiting on AADSAS to process.

One last question, how big of an impact would it make if I was able to take genetics this semester at a 4 yr university, but I could not put it on my application.<-- Cant put it on b/c already submitted to AADSAS. I would just tell them druing the interview. I have missed the first week of classes, but I just got special permission from the instructor to enroll.

Any thoughts?

Remember Bio classes I have taken are Biochem(4yr), Intro Cell Bio(4yr), Human Physiology (4yr), Human Anatomy (CC), Zoology(CC), Microbiology (CC), Botany(4yr)

I know it seems like I am really stressing over this, but I cant stomach the idea of having to reapply b/c some adcom thinks I should have more upper division bio and scraps my application for another cycle.