Gap Year Gone Wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorshateher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I had the great idea last summer to take a gap year to improve my application and get some real world experience and whatnot.

I had a really great health related job that was all lined up but then that got cancelled. I then had a great AmeriCorps position lined up that lost funding. Then I had an OK office job that was kind of related to health and whatnot, but that position was eliminated due to budget cuts.

Soo...its looking like this year I am going to be working as a paperwork b**ch for an insurance company, a substitute teacher, a cashier at the local grocery store or some other terrible job.

Are med schools going to look down on this? I already have 5 interviews lined up and I'm really not looking forward to the "so, what are you doing now?" question. I have a great summer job that wasn't on my primary, so I can talk about that. But is this going to be the kiss of death for my app? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Dude you had 3 good jobs pulled out from under your feet due to circumstances out of your control - I doubt anyone is going to look down on you for that.

Not to mention, by the looks of your MDApps you're darn near invincible as-is. It's mid August and you have interviews 5 of the best schools in the country. Don't worry.

So, I had the great idea last summer to take a gap year to improve my application and get some real world experience and whatnot.

I had a really great health related job that was all lined up but then that got cancelled. I then had a great AmeriCorps position lined up that lost funding. Then I had an OK office job that was kind of related to health and whatnot, but that position was eliminated due to budget cuts.

Soo...its looking like this year I am going to be working as a paperwork b**ch for an insurance company, a substitute teacher, a cashier at the local grocery store or some other terrible job.

Are med schools going to look down on this? I already have 5 interviews lined up and I'm really not looking forward to the "so, what are you doing now?" question. I have a great summer job that wasn't on my primary, so I can talk about that. But is this going to be the kiss of death for my app? :confused:
No.

Adcoms don't live in bubbles, they know that the economy sucks. Just do something with your time, even if it is a $hitty job, and keep up your EC's and you will be fine. Being unable to line up a clinical job, or an amazing volunteer experience, will not sink your application.

You may run into problems if your numbers are low, but in that case, even if the great health related job or the Americorp position had panned out, your application wouldn't have been a sure thing anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
You already have interviews at some great schools, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Looking at your MDapps I'm wondering why you thought you needed the gap year. :confused:

Looking at your MDapps I'm wondering why you thought you needed the gap year. :confused:

It was mostly for personal reasons, but it ended up working out for the best. Last summer my research had gone nowhere, I didn't have much shadowing and I didn't have 2 of my activities and 2 of my LORs would not have been nearly as strong. Also, I got back from Africa in mid-July without having done any of my AMCAS/personal statement, etc and I wanted to have an early application.

All in all I'm still glad I did it, just wishing I could've gotten a better job. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Bad jobs build character. :p

It was mostly for personal reasons, but it ended up working out for the best. Last summer my research had gone nowhere, I didn't have much shadowing and I didn't have 2 of my activities and 2 of my LORs would not have been nearly as strong. Also, I got back from Africa in mid-July without having done any of my AMCAS/personal statement, etc and I wanted to have an early application.

All in all I'm still glad I did it, just wishing I could've gotten a better job. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Bad jobs build character. :p

OK, makes sense. Well, your application is very strong, so it worked out well. I also do not think any admissions member will fault you for having those opportunities fall out from under your feet. Best of luck to you.

p.s. I wish more people had worked bad jobs when they were younger. Retail and food especially...

To be in the position to get those interviews - he applied after his senior year it looks like. So maybe that final year he beefed it up even more:eek:

I work as a substitute teacher at a school for kids with behavioral and learning disabilities. While it's not the best job in the world it's a job and I'm glad to have it. I don't think adcoms are going to look down on that. They like teaching experience anyway

That is a good point. I wrote my PS about medicine and teaching/patient education anyway :)

Subbing is good too because if I get called in I can just decline if its an interview/travel day.

It looks like you're in a great place! I don't know why you think all of those jobs are such bad jobs--they're JOBS. Sometimes you can learn a lot more from a job you hate than from a job you love. No one will think less of you because you had to take the jobs that were available to you instead of the ones that you wanted.

I'm in the same situation. Been applying to every job I can find for the last month and have yet to get any calls :( I have an interview on Aug 27th and don't know what to say when they ask me "so what are you doing now?"

As long as you are productive and continue to volunteer, having any job (or searching for a job) won't hurt you one bit.

Sometimes the experience of working one of these "bad" jobs (especially service industry) can help you in your interviews and beyond in medicine.