Gap year Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaishai1926

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a question regarding whether what I'm doing during a portion of my two gap years before medical school will look bad on my AMCAS application in the future. I would much appreciate your guys' advice.
Some background info:
Im a senior who will be graduating this may. I decided to take two gap years and will be applying to medical schools in May-June 2021, and have realized that by the end of this semester I won't have enough clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours, i switched to pre-med late, also I haven't taken the MCAT.

I decided to take the January MCAT next year while also doing only clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering from June 2019 to January 2019, and hopefully February 2019 or March I would have a scribe job somewhere.

I was wondering whether having such a large gap being unemployed and only volunteering ( from June 2019 to January 2020) looks bad on the AMCAS?
I know I wouldn't be doing "nothing", which everyone I know says not to do during a gap year. But does only volunteering look bad on my application in the future.
Basically, is it ok it just volunteer for a few months during my 2 gap years, and nothing else( I would be studying for the MCAT during that time)?

Members don't see this ad.

gap years are ok but honestly you should do something else along with volunteering and mcat prep bc two years is a long time for only volunteering and mcat prep

gap years are ok but honestly you should do something else along with volunteering and mcat prep bc two years is a long time for only volunteering and mcat prep

Oh no, I wouldn't be only volunteering and mcat prepping for those two years. I would only be doing that for 6-7 months. I was wondering whether only volunteering and mcat prepping during those 6-7 months looks bad.

it's recommended that you spend 3-6 months prepping for mcat which is basically a full time job so you should be fine as long as u do other things after.

Reactions: 1 user