Gap Year in college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurrySpice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a year off next year between freshman and sophomore years of college, and I'm looking for some ideas.

I've been thinking about applying for a couple americorps programs (city year, habitat for humanity, and/or NCCC) or getting an au pair position abroad.

Clearly the position doesn't have to be directly related to veterinary medicine, although I would love an animal-related job. Any suggestions? I know this question is asked a lot for people taking a year or two off after college, but I need something that doesn't require a college degree. Oh, and I really don't want to live with my parents so a residential-type program would be best.

I just finally decided that I'm not happy where I am right now and I want to take a year, clear my head, and transfer to another college (maybe in the UK?).

Members don't see this ad.

Consider a year round camp that does programs for kids....if you want animal experience, there are ones that do marine work, ones that use animals (especially horses) for therapy, ones that focus on wildlife. Many only require HS graduation and/or some college. I have had a lot of friends do these and have really great experiences.

If you get on EcoJobs (your school might get this newsletter, otherwise it does havea price tag, but not a terrible one, there are always advertisements for camp counselors.) EcoLog-L also gets some wandering across, and it is a free list serve. Marmam also gets occasional ones, but not nearly as much as EcoLog and Ecojobs. You can also get seasonal positions in research off of those, especially if making money isn't the main objective...though many of those require either enrollment or completion.

I can empathize with the feeling, I transfered after my freshman year becaues I HATED the school (and a lot of the students) I was attending...once I got into the right school....well, it was amazing.

If youu're interested in wildlife at all, Texas A&M mantains a great job board. Your best bet would probably be the temporary/seasonal positions which tend to provide housing and a stipend of some sort. Some positions will require degrees, but others won't, so you just have to check out each individual listing that sounds interesting.

http://wfsc.tamu.edu/jobboard/index.htm