Gap year job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fawkes94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm currently looking for a job for my gap year (I graduate in May), and most of the healthcare jobs in my home town require either a 2 year commitment or certification. I applied to the ones that don't require any of these but that was just a couple of scribe jobs, and I am not sure I will get those just because of competitiveness. Can anybody recommend any other jobs that don't require certification, or whose certification process is quick? Also I am a microbiology major and have had experience in a microbiology lab. Are there any jobs related to this and health care, or do you think I can apply to clinical research jobs without any clinical research experience?

Finally, if I can't find any jobs that are health care related, would it be ok to get a job in retail or something like that and just volunteer on the side? I just think if I went this route that my bachelors would be wasted but it is only for one year and some change I guess.

I appreciate whatever advice you can give me!!

Members don't see this ad.

whatever job you get, make sure that it pays you. Also be sure that for the sake of money and stability, you aren't sacrificing having to do 2 or more commitments at once. Focus on the important items in the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
No need to kill yourself trying to find a clinical job. Any job that provides you a paycheck should be fine. Keep up with your ECs and you should be fine.

Why aren't you competitive for a scribe job?
Thanks for the reply! I'm not uncompetitive, per say, it's just with only 2 hospitals in my area that have scribe positions, and two major universities with a bunch of premeds, I figured it's not a guarantee that I get the job.

No need to kill yourself trying to find a clinical job. Any job that provides you a paycheck should be fine. Keep up with your ECs and you should be fine.

Thanks for the reply! This is good to know.