Gap year options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shishka32

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Considering I've studied abroad in high school and traveled a lot in college, should I study abroad this fall in England or work for Americorps? I could potentially be an ER scribe as well. But the Americorps and scribe programs in my area don't hire in the spring, only this summer.

I'm not going to apply until June 2013 for the 2013-2014 cycle.

Thanks!

Do whatever is going to be the most fun and least work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering I've studied abroad in high school and traveled a lot in college, should I study abroad this fall in England or work for Americorps? I could potentially be an ER scribe as well. But the Americorps and scribe programs in my area don't hire in the spring, only this summer.

I'm not going to apply until June 2013 for the 2013-2014 cycle.

Thanks!
do something that will get you the most amount of medical exposure possible. that's what will matter come application time.

I love to have fun, but it's not really my personality to take it easy (pre-med syndrome I know). If I was to study abroad this fall, it would be more of a service-learning internship. And, I think both studying abroad and staying around here would be fun for different reasons. Either way I love to travel during my vacation time.

Thanks for the advice!

I didn't take that to mean "do something that will allow you to laze around."

What I personally meant is that you should do the thing that feels least like work to you. If volunteering floats your boat, do that. If you'd rather be in clinic with people, do that. This decision is actually allowed to be a no brainer since your two choices are both things that will help your application.