Gap year or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoKelby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 3rd year at a California school and decided on pharmacy last year. Since then, I've been volunteering at a pharmacy and continuing there. Other than that, I don't really have any extracurriculars. My gpa is sitting around a 3.6~3.7. Is it worth it to take the gap year and work on my extracurriculars before applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think taking a year off just for extracurriculars is worth it especially since you have some pharmacy experience unless you are studying for the pcat / filling out pharmcas.

If you can, apply over the summer. Pharmcas is a pretty long process so the sooner you do it the better. Maybe aim to take the pcat in July before the semester starts and start your application in August. Also research research about pharmacy schools.

I wish someone would have told me this earlier...I am currently taking a year gap...maybe even 2

No. Some school is going to accept you regardless of your ECs. I know people in my class who have never stepped into a pharmacy prior to applying for pharmacy schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aiming for either USC or UOP. Does it seem a bit out of reach?

I'm aiming for either USC or UOP. Does it seem a bit out of reach?

Unless if your parents were paying for pharmacy school, I'd suggest you stay away from both of those schools only because of their insanely high tuition. Then again, the choice is yours. I'm sure you've got a decent/pretty good shot at getting into either school without ECs.

Reactions: 1 user
Gap to take ECs? No.
Gap to achieve something, develop some personal strength, evolve as a person? Absolutely.

No one wants to say no to someone who distinguishes themselves in a tireless pursuit of passion.