TryingMyBest3
New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I have just graduated with my B.S. in May, and am planning to apply next spring (so a total of 2 gap years). I was all over the place during my undergrad degree, and recently have decided to go 'all in' to become an MD/DO (hence the relative lack of clinical hour longevity)
I was pretty productive during my undergraduate studies in terms of activities, and now am taking a step back to focus on studying for the MCAT, as well as serve as a part-time caretaker for my grandfather who just fractured his arm. I am working 10 hours a week as a Patient Transporter, studying 20 hours a week for the MCAT, and help around 10 hours a week with my grandpa. I also am doing a little research and volunteering on the side, but mainly as a continuation from the same activities I did during my B.S.
My activities are as follows:
Clinical:
BHT, 180 hours, June-July 2026 (had to move back home to help care for grandfather)
Patient Transporter, 350 hours by the time I apply in May 2027
Volunteering:
Crisis Line: 480 hours over 2.5 years
Red Cross: 200 hours (from first-year yr HS to now)
Community Service Organizing: 300 hours over 2.5 years
Research:
Undergrad Lab: 800 hours over 5 years, 1 pub from this (from first-year undergrad to now)
International Research: 260 hours over a summer, 1 pub from this
Research at a Hospital System: 300 hours over 2 years
Leadership:
Orientation Leader: 600 hours over 2.5 years
Shadowing:
40 hours currently, I have another 32 currently scheduled (across Family Med, Psych, Trauma, and IM)
In terms of other misc. activities, I also will list Caretaking (probably 300-500 hours by May), as well as Running (1500+ hours for over 8 years). With caretaking, I help my grandfather with mobility ADLs (except bathing), as well as take him to appointments as needed, help plan medications, etc. He does have a nurse and PT that come in, I am the 'other person' there for him to help out if that makes sense. I don't want to oversell my role there, but I also know that I need to be home for him, as he has a history of falling.
My Question:
Does my current gap year plan look 'productive' enough to you all? I could probably pick up some more hours at my Patient Transport Job or find another clinical job to reach 16-20 hours a week, but doing so could compromise my MCAT studying as a result. My cGPA is a 3.89, but I could use a solid score to hopefully receive some aid, as I am considered EO-2 in terms of financial situation.
I would really appreciate any advice you may have here 🙂 Thank you in advance
I have just graduated with my B.S. in May, and am planning to apply next spring (so a total of 2 gap years). I was all over the place during my undergrad degree, and recently have decided to go 'all in' to become an MD/DO (hence the relative lack of clinical hour longevity)
I was pretty productive during my undergraduate studies in terms of activities, and now am taking a step back to focus on studying for the MCAT, as well as serve as a part-time caretaker for my grandfather who just fractured his arm. I am working 10 hours a week as a Patient Transporter, studying 20 hours a week for the MCAT, and help around 10 hours a week with my grandpa. I also am doing a little research and volunteering on the side, but mainly as a continuation from the same activities I did during my B.S.
My activities are as follows:
Clinical:
BHT, 180 hours, June-July 2026 (had to move back home to help care for grandfather)
Patient Transporter, 350 hours by the time I apply in May 2027
Volunteering:
Crisis Line: 480 hours over 2.5 years
Red Cross: 200 hours (from first-year yr HS to now)
Community Service Organizing: 300 hours over 2.5 years
Research:
Undergrad Lab: 800 hours over 5 years, 1 pub from this (from first-year undergrad to now)
International Research: 260 hours over a summer, 1 pub from this
Research at a Hospital System: 300 hours over 2 years
Leadership:
Orientation Leader: 600 hours over 2.5 years
Shadowing:
40 hours currently, I have another 32 currently scheduled (across Family Med, Psych, Trauma, and IM)
In terms of other misc. activities, I also will list Caretaking (probably 300-500 hours by May), as well as Running (1500+ hours for over 8 years). With caretaking, I help my grandfather with mobility ADLs (except bathing), as well as take him to appointments as needed, help plan medications, etc. He does have a nurse and PT that come in, I am the 'other person' there for him to help out if that makes sense. I don't want to oversell my role there, but I also know that I need to be home for him, as he has a history of falling.
My Question:
Does my current gap year plan look 'productive' enough to you all? I could probably pick up some more hours at my Patient Transport Job or find another clinical job to reach 16-20 hours a week, but doing so could compromise my MCAT studying as a result. My cGPA is a 3.89, but I could use a solid score to hopefully receive some aid, as I am considered EO-2 in terms of financial situation.
I would really appreciate any advice you may have here 🙂 Thank you in advance