Gap year question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brockhamptonfanacct

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I understand similar questions have been asked already -- I've read around but haven't really seen a clear answer.

I am a junior planning on applying this upcoming cycle. IMHO, my app looks good; I have a lot of meaningful experiences in every required category, a decent GPA, planning on taking the MCAT soon, etc. I know whether or not I'm ready to apply will be contingent upon my MCAT score.

Will it hurt me to apply this upcoming cycle instead of taking a gap year like the majority of matriculants? I know some common concerns include not having enough hours in certain categories, needing GPA repair, not being mature enough, etc. I think I've reasonably addressed all of those within my three years so far, but I'm not sure if a gap year is becoming a stronger recommendation than previously thought.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone.

I understand similar questions have been asked already -- I've read around but haven't really seen a clear answer.

I am a junior planning on applying this upcoming cycle. IMHO, my app looks good; I have a lot of meaningful experiences in every required category, a decent GPA, planning on taking the MCAT soon, etc. I know whether or not I'm ready to apply will be contingent upon my MCAT score.

Will it hurt me to apply this upcoming cycle instead of taking a gap year like the majority of matriculants? I know some common concerns include not having enough hours in certain categories, needing GPA repair, not being mature enough, etc. I think I've reasonably addressed all of those within my three years so far, but I'm not sure if a gap year is becoming a stronger recommendation than previously thought.

Thank you!
You haven't found a clear answer because there isn't one. Around 2/3 of matriculants take at least one gap year for all the reasons you articulated, and you probably already know this. You think you have reasonably addressed all of the issues other candidates address through gap years? You might be right. After all, around 1/3 of all matriculants (including BS/MD and other direct entrants) are successful each year without gap years.

Will not having a gap year hurt you? Beyond stating the obvious that "more" everything is always better than less, the answer is unclear and will only be obvious in hindsight, after you know how the cycle turns out. The safer play is to take one, but if you have great grades, experiences and MCAT, then no, you don't need one. You want a clear answer as to what is "great" with respect to ECs? Good luck with that!! You'll only know for sure after you take your shot and see what happens.

You haven't found a clear answer because there isn't one. Around 2/3 of matriculants take at least one gap year for all the reasons you articulated, and you probably already know this. You think you have reasonably addressed all of the issues other candidates address through gap years? You might be right. After all, around 1/3 of all matriculants (including BS/MD and other direct entrants) are successful each year without gap years.

Will not having a gap year hurt you? Beyond stating the obvious that "more" everything is always better than less, the answer is unclear and will only be obvious in hindsight, after you know how the cycle turns out. The safer play is to take one, but if you have great grades, experiences and MCAT, then no, you don't need one. You want a clear answer as to what is "great" with respect to ECs? Good luck with that!! You'll only know for sure after you take your shot and see what happens.

Fair response, and pretty much what I assumed. I appreciate you responding as always. I don't know that anything on my app is great, per se -- but I think I've got a solid narrative and have fairly meaningful experiences. We'll see how my MCAT goes, I guess!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Fair response, and pretty much what I assumed. I appreciate you responding as always. I don't know that anything on my app is great, per se -- but I think I've got a solid narrative and have fairly meaningful experiences. We'll see how my MCAT goes, I guess!
You seem pretty bright, and I definitely think it's worth taking a shot.

Maturity is very subjective, and, sure, people with gap years think it gives them a huge edge and, sure, all things being equal, adcoms like to see it. But all things aren't equal, which is why 1/3 of most classes don't have gap years, and plenty of people with gap years are forced to take another one while reapplying.

It bears remembering that a generation ago, when admissions weren't nearly as competitive as now, very few people didn't go straight through. Those with gap years were mostly doing them for GPA repair or to pick up prereqs because they were late to the game, and a whole generation of med students became doctors and managed just fine without the oh so valuable maturation conferred by the gap year. In fact, back then, people worried that the gap year was a negative, and often it was, because people were using them to fix negatives (grades) in their applications.

If your grades, MCAT and ECs are up to par, there is absolutely no reason to believe you won't be in the 1/3 of the class that doesn't have a gap year. :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

Frankly, you don’t seem convinced yourself that you are ready. You really only want to apply one time with the best possible application. And remember that only around 40% of all applicants are accepted each cycle so it’s important to be confident in your application. Your MCAT is very important but it’s just one metric that ADCOMS consider. You haven’t shared anything at all with us concerning your GPAS or ECs so it’s all just speculation . Good luck on the MCAT.

Frankly, you don’t seem convinced yourself that you are ready. You really only want to apply one time with the best possible application. And remember that only around 40% of all applicants are accepted each cycle so it’s important to be confident in your application. Your MCAT is very important but it’s just one metric that ADCOMS consider. You haven’t shared anything at all with us concerning your GPAS or ECs so it’s all just speculation . Good luck on the MCAT.

My GPAs aren’t T20 caliber but are decent (tough freshman year, clear 4.0 since). Several hundred hours of non-clinical (women’s shelter and working with refugees) and clinical (free clinic) volunteering both, worked in disability services for a year, hundreds of clinical hours as a CNA now, leadership via Student Government and being the president of two student orgs, and a few other related things (a political internship, for instance). I feel like my app is reasonably ready, but it’s hard not to worry when I see the matriculant gap year stats. I hope this helps and maybe helps you offer me some advice.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm such a big fan of gap years I've taken about ten of them. ;)

...But that's because I didn't originally want to do medicine, and there were lots of other interests I wanted to pursue. If you're confident in your chosen path and have all the requirements met, there's simply no need for a gap year. Consider your options for a gap year (or two) - if you're interested in research or public health you can probably find some neat internships/jobs that would give you the chance to do meaningful work. You could do Peace Corps if you've got two years to kill and want to pick up one or more foreign languages while working abroad for a while. There are SO many cool programs (NIH has some entry level research programs, IIRC; the CDC's Public Health Associate Program is awesome, etc etc etc) that could give you the opportunity to further explore your interests outside of medicine. Americorps is a low-paid way to demonstrate a commitment to service if that's something you're interested in or something your application needs.

If I could do it all over again, I think the only thing I'd do differently is get a WFR cert and spend a summer working with an outdoor experiential program for youth and then spend the winter in South America traveling around, volunteering at hostels in exchange for discounted rates, and making out with hotties from around the world. You're only young once! ;)

My GPAs aren’t T20 caliber but are decent (tough freshman year, clear 4.0 since). Several hundred hours of non-clinical (women’s shelter and working with refugees) and clinical (free clinic) volunteering both, worked in disability services for a year, hundreds of clinical hours as a CNA now, leadership via Student Government and being the president of two student orgs, and a few other related things (a political internship, for instance). I feel like my app is reasonably ready, but it’s hard not to worry when I see the matriculant gap year stats. I hope this helps and maybe helps you offer me some advice.
You know applying depends on so much. Do well on the MCAT and continue your ECs. If you feel everything is as good as it’s going to be, apply. Use the MSAR to develop a well thought out list based on your stats, ECs, location, residence etc., the mission of the school, how they feel about OOS V. IS.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone.

Thank you!
You should apply when you have the best possible app.

You know applying depends on so much. Do well on the MCAT and continue your ECs. If you feel everything is as good as it’s going to be, apply. Use the MSAR to develop a well thought out list based on your stats, ECs, location, residence etc., the mission of the school, how they feel about OOS V. IS.
This^^^^^^. There are also adcoms on SDN who are true believers in upward trends, and who advise that, at least at some schools, a strong upward trend either partially or fully mitigates a sub par overall GPA.

This means that some schools might view your GPA more like a 4.0 than you might realize, and you should probably consider throwing in at least a few applications to schools MSAR suggests you won't have a shot, if for no other reason than to test this theory and to have no regrets later.

between 35%and 40% of matriculants (roughly 9000) applied in the “traditional”timeline”of summer after Junior year.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the true number even less, because this 9,000 includes around 1,000 BS/MD?