Gap year questions - 1 or 2 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandiego3456

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am new to SDN so hopefully I am doing this right! I was just wondering what some opinions were to take one or two gap years before medical school (I'm very indecisive!!)

A little background on me:
-Oregon resident, but currently a senior at a liberal arts college in C
-~3.70 cGPA, ~3.6 sGPA; Biochemistry Major
-Community service: tutor
-Leadership in sorority
-TA
-Research experience

So basically..... what do you guys think? Is studying during the MCAT terrible doing the school year or is it manageable? Also are there any cool gap year jobs that you guys have done that would be more exciting than being a full time scribe? Kinda wanna do a fun job too

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have been really happy with my decision to take two gap years. I took the MCAT in January of the first year, and am applying now to hopefully matriculate at the end of the second gap year. It's been nice to be able to spread things out a bit, and I found studying for the MCAT easier even with a full time job than I would have while in school. I'm working in research administration/funding - so while it may not be more "fun" than scribing (idk I was never a scribe), it definitely pays better and I've gotten some cool opportunities out of it. Your mileage may vary though. I could see some people being frustrated with the extra year if their goal is to get to med school as fast as possible.

As a random side note, was the Paris opportunity through IP? I did a similar program a few years ago, and you obviously made the right decision :p

Reactions: 1 users
I have been really happy with my decision to take two gap years. I took the MCAT in January of the first year, and am applying now to hopefully matriculate at the end of the second gap year. It's been nice to be able to spread things out a bit, and I found studying for the MCAT easier even with a full time job than I would have while in school. I'm working in research administration/funding - so while it may not be more "fun" than scribing (idk I was never a scribe), it definitely pays better and I've gotten some cool opportunities out of it. Your mileage may vary though. I could see some people being frustrated with the extra year if their goal is to get to med school as fast as possible.

As a random side note, was the Paris opportunity through IP? I did a similar program a few years ago, and you obviously made the right decision :p

Thanks so much for your reply! Helps a lot. I'm definitely leaning towards taking two gap years...
Yeah... I'm looking to earn as much money as possible and scribes do not get paid much so I'm thinking of going a different route... that sounds like a super cool opportunity
No it was not through IP!! My research prof just goes over there every year and decided to take me along this time!