Gap Year Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileyPreDent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently debating what job to take over my SECOND gap year:

I have a very high paying job being a student aid to a school (could be boring, and is a full time year long commitment and I already have the opportunity set up)

Second; Should I take a pay cut and try to find a job in a dental office as a DA or receptionist...

Money is particularly tight and important to me but I was just wondering what people suggest:

Experience or money

Members don't see this ad.

Experience and money. Could you become part-time at your current job and try to pick up a part-time DA position?

If money is tight, then money. I also had 2 gap years, and I chose money both years (I made more at my job rather than being a DA/receptionist). Don't get me wrong, I still volunteered A LOT and was still heavily involved in dental volunteering, shadowing, and dental/medical mission trips. So, best advice would be work full-time (something you enjoy hopefully) and still be involved in your community, do dental related things ie. shadowing, volunteering to show you can be busy yet have successful time management.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently debating what job to take over my SECOND gap year:

I have a very high paying job being a student aid to a school (could be boring, and is a full time year long commitment and I already have the opportunity set up)

Second; Should I take a pay cut and try to find a job in a dental office as a DA or receptionist...

Money is particularly tight and important to me but I was just wondering what people suggest:

Experience or money
Honestly, stay at your job it pays well. You can increase volunteer or DA hours if you pick up some hours during weekends. Dental schools don't require you to be a dental assistant before you are acceptd.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah def stick with your current job, especially if you've already shadowed a great deal and still find the time to volunteer.

Reactions: 1 user