Gap year research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goblue9897

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a senior who's been working in my lab for about two years now, which I love. It's a great lab environment and I have a lot of freedom and flexibility, and will likely get one or two mid-tier publications from it. My PI has already offered me a full-time position for my gap year, which I'm strongly considering. I'm interested in applying to MD/PhD programs and want to get as much research experience as possible. However, I don't think the subject of my lab is what I want to pursue for my PhD (I liked the topic of my summer internship at another institution better), and I'm interested in getting exposure to another research lab for my gap year by working as a junior scientist or lab tech.

Do you think that the benefits of working in a new lab (more diverse experience, potentially more "reputable" lab than my small one) outweigh the costs (ie. time-consuming applications, adjusting to a new environment for only one year, potentially less flexibility)?

Do MSTP programs look favorably on applicants who work for a year at their institution?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the job now and maybe do some job hunting as well? Keep your options open, yes, but don't bank on waltzing into any "reputable" research center because you have 2 years of research experience. It took me a year of applying during senior year of UG and a year outside of college before landing a research job at a great lab/research center.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to work in a lab that works on your field of interest. Go for it! You may need to send in ~50-75 applications for an entry-level position.

"Do MSTP programs look favorably on applicants who work for a year at their institution?"
Some schools think it's a plus; but from what I've seen with several friends who are in an MSTP and advising in my pre-med club with MSTP adcoms, it's not usually needed. They don't wanna "home-cook" their MD/PhD candidates, so-to-speak. I can't speak for EVERY MSTP program, but that's the general consensus I've gotten. What they care about is: did you get something meaningful out of your research and do your LORs show you're a good fit for the dual-degree program?

"Do you think that the benefits of working in a new lab (more diverse experience, potentially more "reputable" lab than my small one) outweigh the costs (ie. time-consuming applications, adjusting to a new environment for only one year, potentially less flexibility)?"
There are too many factors to really have a clear-cut answer for that. What I can tell you is, if you're going to apply to medical school during the first gap year (i.e. only take on year off til you attend medical school,) the labs outside of your UG won't be keen on you only staying a year. Generally, it takes half a year to a whole year to train a new tech. Why hire someone to train them for a year, only for him/her to leave once s/he has gotten all the training s/he needs? They're going to want to hire a new person who can commit something like 2-3 years at least. The advantage with staying at your institution is you have given your PI and the lab a lot of time; to where the PI is willing to get a grant just to pay you to stay and train. That speaks volumes on your character. What is at stake is a good LOR vs. an amazing LOR from a PI, which is one of the most important LORs you can get for an MD/PhD program.

This is coming from someone who has a fiancee who's been accepted to 3 MD/PhD programs (2 MSTP). I've also been doing research FT for almost 3 years (+2 years in UG.) I've gone through so many hiring processes, both as the interviewer and interviewee.

Good luck with everything!