Gap Year - Retaking Classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJS4878

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone so currently I have a 3.4cGPA and 3.1sGPA. I just graduated from my undergraduate institution in May and plan to apply this July once I take the MCAT (July 2nd). I am currently scheduled to retake Chem II in July which was a "C" from my freshman year. I believe that I can get an "A" and doing so will raise my GPA's to 3.45c and 3.3s.

Now my question is: should I retake more classes in the Fall or is that too late for it to make an impression on my application? My freshman year was horrible and I earned 3 "C's" in Physics I, Chem II, and Cellular Bio. I am more than confident that I could get an A in these classes if I were to retake them, because I have received an A in all of the more advanced versions of them (Physics II, OChem I and II, Advanced Molecular and Cell Bio... etc). Retaking both of them in the Fall would give me a 3.57c and a 3.7s. This bump seems huge to me, and hopefully I am calculating it correctly, but will this actually add to my application since I am applying in July?

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

If you have nothing better to do and feel confident that you can get a higher grade, go ahead! I don't see how it could hurt you.

With this gap year, however, I would also looks for jobs/volunteer opportunities that put you into contact with patients and/or research. Good luck!

I am planning to work at the local hospital, so that is kinda why I am asking this. It will make for a pretty busy schedule with work and taking two classes. So I guess will it be worth it to take those classes seeing as I won't have a final grade to add to my application until December?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to work at the local hospital, so that is kinda why I am asking this. It will make for a pretty busy schedule with work and taking two classes. So I guess will it be worth it to take those classes seeing as I won't have a final grade to add to my application until December?

I misread your original post; I thought that you were applying next year. I don't know how beneficial it would be to retake these classes after you've already applied.

Other thoughts/opinions?

If you have nothing better to do this fall semester, go for it. Be sure that you can improve your grade though; working while in school can be rough.

I think that it will not count for a lot for this application process in the fall. However, if you are still on waitlist or interviewing during the spring semester, it can help. Just send schools your updated GPA.

In addition, if you are not accepted this cycle, the improved GPA will be beneficial for next year.

In the end, it's up to you and whether you think you can handle/afford the classes + work + interviewing during the fall semester.

I misread your original post; I thought that you were applying next year. I don't know how beneficial it would be to retake these classes after you've already applied.

Other thoughts/opinions?

Fall retakes can be updated to AACOMAS easily and quickly, and may have a significant effect on an applicant who is a hair below cutoffs (it did for me). I'd say its worth it for OP to do the retake, but only if they will definitely get better grades.