Gap year secondaries too short?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
I understand and agree with the general wisdom to hit at least 75% of character count for most secondaries. However, I'm not sure if trying to do so for 2500-3000 char gap year essays would end up helping or hurting me. Is this a situation where schools are giving the opportunity for some applicants that need to explain complicated research or the multiple things they'll be doing extra room? I just feel like it would be weird to drone on and on about an activity that I haven't even started yet when I've already explained what it is, why I'm doing it, what I hope to learn, and how it ties into my goals in ~1000 char. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say for the gap year essays the 75% character count doesn't apply. I think if you cover the things you mentioned, you'll be fine. Don't try to fill it up just because for a gap year essay. It's not like an adcom will look at it and count characters.
okay cool that's what I thought! wanted to make sure since those essays are going out to a ton of schools. thanks!!