Gap year suggestions (preferably paid) in NYC/Philly/North Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kjj17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Asking for a good friend --

Graduated from college in 2014, and did some significant service-oriented stuff for the past year, but no full-time activities, had an unsuccessful cycle largely due to low MCAT.

Re-applying now (and retaking MCAT), so have another year to fill. Want to do something a bit more substantial this time, preferably with some pay, so as not to live off parents. Preferably 9-10 month commitment (August/September to June/July)

Ideas, besides research? Considering Americorps, but the time requirement is a bit stringent. Also looked at Idealist, but don't see anything that I like.

Would greatly appreciate some general suggestions, or specific job opportunities you know of -- will be living in NJ; most of North/Central Jersey, NYC, and possibly Philly (but it's farther than NYC) are commutable.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Scribe. I've been doing it for my gap year for a PCP and I've learned more about the healthcare system, medications, etc than I could imagine.

Scribe. I've been doing it for my gap year for a PCP and I've learned more about the healthcare system, medications, etc than I could imagine.
how did you get the position? thanks :)

I had heard about scribing and that it was one of the best things to do prior to going to med school. So i just looked up as many scribe companies I could on google and applied to ones that had openings in my area. Theres ProScribe, Scribe America, Medical Scribe Systems, Essia Health, and others. Its entry level stuff and the application and interview process were relatively painless. Look into it! :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user