Gap year...Unsure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
My grades are on the borderline for acceptance into medical school, so I'll be applying next cycle so that I can use my senior year to increase my GPA. I'm also taking the MCATs in January.

I've been looking at other options as well such as post-bacc programs, SMPs, and other master's programs.

I'm kind of stuck between deciding what to do this winter.
Should I apply to med school next cycle if I do well my senior year with a final GPA of ~3.5?

Which of these programs would be the most beneficial if I don't decide to apply? I've heard many SMPs are very expensive and some are scams (from my advisor, she's obviously not a fan of SMPs). I wouldn't mind doing a Master's in Physio or Public Health, but I want to do something that would really help me get my foot into medical school.
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

ok...well lets start here.

which out of these programs will be the most helpful in improving my academic record and strengthening my chances of getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have 3.3 overall and a 3.4 science gpa. No mcat scores yet...

I've been doing some more research and I'm trying to figure out how many programs (SMPs) to apply to?

Basically, I am looking for programs that are academic record enhancers, so they are not meant for career changers.

My GPA is right around a 3.3, which what a lot of these programs are looking for. Is there a strategy I should be using when I apply? Or should I just apply to as many programs that I like?

Last edited: