Gap year vs PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xlr8er

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a serious pickle and I can't really figure this out.

Ok, stats first

MCAT: 32 P (8V 12P 12B P)
AAMC GPA = 3.23 sGPA 3.20
AACOMAS GPA = 3.52 sGPA =3.52

I just graduated from a chem degree. I previously applied to only 10 allopathic schools with 3.12 uGPA. What's worse is I did it in late September, early October and wasn't verified until Dec (I'm not a smart man). I was rejected from all of the schools I had applied to with no offer of an interview. Unfortunately I did not apply to the DO program this cycle. I had a very poor sophomore year due to personal reasons, but I do have a smattering of bad grades across the board (1 C in my 3rd and 4th year).

I have a few high level E.C such as academic research for 3 years (1 publication on the way), Vice presidential positions in a few university clubs and societies, as well as an elected Board Chairman on my student union for a year. I have around 25 hours shadowing a doctor in the ER that is currently ongoing but not much else in terms of clinical experience.

The problem for me is that I'm not sure what I am supposed to do in the next year if I am to reapply. I was accepted for a PhD on the other side of the country (tuition waved, fully funded) that is really interesting to me, but unrelated to medicine. My concern is that I know I want to be a physician and practice medicine for my career. I have worked in an ER and I love that dynamic. I also like research quite a bit, and what I could be working on really interests me. But to enter graduate school in a field where if you are not 100% committed to getting a PhD and its not 100% necessary for your chosen field probably won't end well. On the other hand, I know that I wouldn't mind applying again after I graduate when I'm 27 and much more mature of a person capable of handling a field in healthcare.

I'm looking at either applying now and not knowing what I'll do for the next few years, or going to grad school for a while. The thought of not doing anything for a year really bothers me. How do other re-applicants deal with not knowing what they'll do for the next year?

I should mention that I could leave after two years and get my masters, but that would probably piss off my supervisor and the department. I'm not asking what are my chances, I just want some advice on what I should do moving forward.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As someone who was in a similar situation, be careful with the grad program. I'm pretty sure I ended up burning a few bridges when I decided to leave and go with medical school. With those stats, you should be able to get into a DO program. An MD one would prob require a SMP or something to boost your gpa.

Considering you applied with a 3.1 GPA to only 10 MD programs. I would recommend learning more about the whole process. You're biggest glaring weakness is the GPA though.

Work for a year, the apply to DO programs. Your heart is in medicine, and that's the road you should take. If you enter the PhD program, you're merely taking a seat away from someone who really wants it, and frankly, deserves it.

I'm in a serious pickle and I can't really figure this out.

Ok, stats first

MCAT: 32 P (8V 12P 12B P)
AAMC GPA = 3.23 sGPA 3.20
AACOMAS GPA = 3.52 sGPA =3.52

I just graduated from a chem degree. I previously applied to only 10 allopathic schools with 3.12 uGPA. What's worse is I did it in late September, early October and wasn't verified until Dec (I'm not a smart man). I was rejected from all of the schools I had applied to with no offer of an interview. Unfortunately I did not apply to the DO program this cycle. I had a very poor sophomore year due to personal reasons, but I do have a smattering of bad grades across the board (1 C in my 3rd and 4th year).

I have a few high level E.C such as academic research for 3 years (1 publication on the way), Vice presidential positions in a few university clubs and societies, as well as an elected Board Chairman on my student union for a year. I have around 25 hours shadowing a doctor in the ER that is currently ongoing but not much else in terms of clinical experience.

The problem for me is that I'm not sure what I am supposed to do in the next year if I am to reapply. I was accepted for a PhD on the other side of the country (tuition waved, fully funded) that is really interesting to me, but unrelated to medicine. My concern is that I know I want to be a physician and practice medicine for my career. I have worked in an ER and I love that dynamic. I also like research quite a bit, and what I could be working on really interests me. But to enter graduate school in a field where if you are not 100% committed to getting a PhD and its not 100% necessary for your chosen field probably won't end well. On the other hand, I know that I wouldn't mind applying again after I graduate when I'm 27 and much more mature of a person capable of handling a field in healthcare.

I'm looking at either applying now and not knowing what I'll do for the next few years, or going to grad school for a while. The thought of not doing anything for a year really bothers me. How do other re-applicants deal with not knowing what they'll do for the next year?

I should mention that I could leave after two years and get my masters, but that would probably piss off my supervisor and the department. I'm not asking what are my chances, I just want some advice on what I should do moving forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who was in a similar situation, be careful with the grad program. I'm pretty sure I ended up burning a few bridges when I decided to leave and go with medical school. With those stats, you should be able to get into a DO program. An MD one would prob require a SMP or something to boost your gpa.

Considering you applied with a 3.1 GPA to only 10 MD programs. I would recommend learning more about the whole process. You're biggest glaring weakness is the GPA though.

Hey, I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on what your situation. When did you leave grad school for med school, and what do you mean you burned a few bridges? Looking back, would you have gone to grad school originally?

Hey, I was wondering if you could elaborate a bit more on what your situation. When did you leave grad school for med school, and what do you mean you burned a few bridges? Looking back, would you have gone to grad school originally?

Looking back, no. Did I learn something from it? I think so, my desire for medicine is much more secure now, and I'm a lot more passionate now than before, but I can't help but feel that it might have been partially the reason I was rejected from that school. Without saying too much to reveal myself, the grad program was at the same school as the med school. My scores and background were a dead fit for the school. It just didn't work out I guess. So yea, if you're looking at a PhD program only to think about leaving it part-way. Make sure no one in that program sits in on the admission committee of a school you're interested in. With admission, you really don't want anything that could hurt your chances.

Looking back, no. Did I learn something from it? I think so, my desire for medicine is much more secure now, and I'm a lot more passionate now than before, but I can't help but feel that it might have been partially the reason I was rejected from that school. Without saying too much to reveal myself, the grad program was at the same school as the med school. My scores and background were a dead fit for the school. It just didn't work out I guess. So yea, if you're looking at a PhD program only to think about leaving it part-way. Make sure no one in that program sits in on the admission committee of a school you're interested in. With admission, you really don't want anything that could hurt your chances.

The schools that I would apply for are not associated with the graduate school I was admitted to. The other question I had was did you have a secondary plan if you didn't get in to medical school. I applied initially to grad school as a safety but I picked a field that I thought was very interesting to me and the research is definitely something that would lead to a promising career in industry. My biggest worry is that if I do say no to them and keep re-applying and fail to get into a medical school then I shut the door on a really good opportunity.

The schools that I would apply for are not associated with the graduate school I was admitted to. The other question I had was did you have a secondary plan if you didn't get in to medical school. I applied initially to grad school as a safety but I picked a field that I thought was very interesting to me and the research is definitely something that would lead to a promising career in industry. My biggest worry is that if I do say no to them and keep re-applying and fail to get into a medical school then I shut the door on a really good opportunity.

I did, but I realized that medicine was what I really wanted. Think about what you want. Do you really want to be a physician, or are there other fields you would be perfectly happy with. Can you see yourself 20 years down the road doing that career, and I mean everything that comes with that career. Remember, a PhD is a 5+ year path of just schooling/labwork alone. If you decide after all that time that medicine is what you wanted, you basically wasted everyone's time including yours for a degree you never intend to really use ever again. If you can see yourself working in industry or as a PI and be happy, then don't shut the door.

Don't go to graduate school if medicine is what you want to do. Just don't. Even if you're like me and extremely interested in research, it's just not the way to go. A PhD is no minor undertaking and job prospects at the end of that road aren't what they used to be.

Take time to work on strengthening your application and apply again.

Work for a year, the apply to DO programs. Your heart is in medicine, and that's the road you should take. If you enter the PhD program, you're merely taking a seat away from someone who really wants it, and frankly, deserves it.

Don't go to graduate school if medicine is what you want to do. Just don't. Even if you're like me and extremely interested in research, it's just not the way to go. A PhD is no minor undertaking and job prospects at the end of that road aren't what they used to be.

Take time to work on strengthening your application and apply again.
Agree with these users.

OP, your app is already strong enough to get you a med school acceptance if you improve your app strategy significantly (apply early, apply broadly, apply to osteo schools). As a PhD-to-MD myself, I can tell you that grad school is not a good bridge or stopgap for med school.

Agree with these users.

OP, your app is already strong enough to get you a med school acceptance if you improve your app strategy significantly (apply early, apply broadly, apply to osteo schools). As a PhD-to-MD myself, I can tell you that grad school is not a good bridge or stopgap for med school.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think what I'll do is I'll ask if I can defer the admission for a year and try applying again. Hopefully I can find a job in the next year and who know's maybe I'll get into a medical school *crosses fingers. If they don't let me differ then I'll try applying again to them and a few other schools for a PhD and move on with my life.

I think what was bothering me was that if I did go to grad school then I knew what I would be doing at least for the next year, rather than this were I'm uncertain about what my future will be. I worry because if I do go for a PhD I doubt I'll be able to find a research group that I like as much as these guys and whose research I like as much as what they were offering.

Thanks for all of your input.

Oh, and could you give any suggestions for schools you think I should apply to that I might have a chance at given my low gpa?

Last edited:
I know the uncertainty of not knowing what you're going to be doing can be a bit frustrating. You know what you did wrong your first app cycle and what you need to do differently the next time.

Something I want to point out here though is that medicine and graduate school/basic science research are very different beasts. They use very different ways of thinking and looking at problems and often people who are a good fit for one aren't a good fit for the other. There are some exceptions like those in the physician scientist crowd, but make sure that if you don't get into med school that research is really what you want to do before making that leap.

It's a back up for a lot of ppl but not necessarily a good fit for them. It's a very long hard road and you need to make sure the end career you'll wind up with is what you want. You're ultimately working towards a career and not just something to fill up a few years.

Research as an undergrad is a lot different and seems a bit more glamorous than research as a PI where your survival depends on coming up with projects and getting them funded through grants in a tight funding environment, teaching courses, overseeing students in your lab but doing more paperwork than bench work yourself, etc. there are options in industry too of course.

Basically what I'm saying is that if medicine doesn't work out there are other career options out there that might be a better fit, that might satisfy you more, and give you the patient interaction you enjoy, and are financially sound as well. Research doesn't have to be your only alternative so only peruse that road if you are truly passionate about it and are aware of the realities of that career path. Use you year off to strengthen your app and figure that stuff out.

But hopefully you'll have a better med school app plan next time, get accepted, and make all of my ramblings moot. :luck:

Just apply to DO schools right now. Even if you waited until september you would be fine for them. You will goto med school next year.