• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Gap year

Turtleton

Jul 24, 2013
  1. Pre-Veterinary
    It is the summer before my senior year and I have recently decided to go to medical school instead of veterinary school. I am thinking about taking a gap year to get more experience with human medicine because all my experience is currently with animals. Also, I would like to get into research because I have no experience with that. If I use my gap year wisely will medical schools care that I took that year off?

Juan Solo

7+ Year Member
    Oct 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      It is the summer before my senior year and I have recently decided to go to medical school instead of veterinary school. I am thinking about taking a gap year to get more experience with human medicine because all my experience is currently with animals. Also, I would like to get into research because I have no experience with that. If I use my gap year wisely will medical schools care that I took that year off?

No they will not care as long as your a not sitting at home doing nothing. Lots of people take one, two or three years off after undergrad to do research, teaching, medical volunteering etc etc before applying to med school and it is becoming more common.

Good luck!

Travex

Jun 11, 2013
      1. Pharmacist
        Don't you already have a gap year since it's too late to apply until next summer anyway? Based on what you said...

Now to May 2014: Finish UG studies (senior year).
        (May/June 2014): Apply to med schools.
        May 2014 to May 2015: Gap year while interviewing/waiting to get accepted.
        Fall 2015: Go to med school (ideally).

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.