Gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turtleton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is the summer before my senior year and I have recently decided to go to medical school instead of veterinary school. I am thinking about taking a gap year to get more experience with human medicine because all my experience is currently with animals. Also, I would like to get into research because I have no experience with that. If I use my gap year wisely will medical schools care that I took that year off?

Members don't see this ad.

It is the summer before my senior year and I have recently decided to go to medical school instead of veterinary school. I am thinking about taking a gap year to get more experience with human medicine because all my experience is currently with animals. Also, I would like to get into research because I have no experience with that. If I use my gap year wisely will medical schools care that I took that year off?

No they will not care as long as your a not sitting at home doing nothing. Lots of people take one, two or three years off after undergrad to do research, teaching, medical volunteering etc etc before applying to med school and it is becoming more common.

Good luck!

Don't you already have a gap year since it's too late to apply until next summer anyway? Based on what you said...

Now to May 2014: Finish UG studies (senior year).
(May/June 2014): Apply to med schools.
May 2014 to May 2015: Gap year while interviewing/waiting to get accepted.
Fall 2015: Go to med school (ideally).