Gap year.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsdothis2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a gap year so ensure a good DAT... any good tips on studying for it because I have so long?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need a whole year to study for the DAT. My best advice would be to look for a study schedule (I used Ari's 10 weeks one) and modify it to fit you. At first I didn't do that and I was dying. Ended up taking me a bit more than the allotted 10 weeks but if I'm honest with myself, it wasn't until that last like 5-4 weeks that I was REALLY studying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone is obviously different, but in my opinion, 3 months of dedicated studying (more than 5 hours a day) is around the max amount of time one could study without getting burnt out. Plus you'd start to run into diminishing returns. You could stretch it out if you wanted to study less per day. Although, if you don't have to, I don't see a point. Might as well get it done with. If I were in your position I would figure out a how long I wanted to study for, find a study schedule to fit that time table, get after it, and then enjoy the rest of your gap year before school starts. I actually just made a video of what I'm doing with my gap year...links in my signature. I am loving life right now, and so ready to hit the books this fall. Good luck, I'm sure you are going to dominate.

1 yr is plenty of time and you should be able to do really well. Follow Ari's plan very strictly and you should do very well.

Ari's Study Guide for DAT Domination | DAT Bootcamp
suggestion: don't just study for DAT, do other things to boost your app.

Awesome advice - all of you guys! I worked for a dental lab for a year and a half my senior year of college. Anything else I can do to boost my extra curricular?

Awesome advice - all of you guys! I worked for a dental lab for a year and a half my senior year of college. Anything else I can do to boost my extra curricular?

volunteer, continue shadow, research(if possible), learn an instrument, mission trip(if possible) OR Mission of mercy/mobile dental events. Take a class or 2 atleast after you take your DAT so you can stay up-to date. Also, travel and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently just started my gap year as well and right now I'm in Spain!! Going to try to make the most of this year because after it (hopefully) it's back to school time!

Reactions: 1 user