Gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman Up

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all. i am currently working out a timeline for mcat, applications, etc. I have it worked out to where i would graduate in the spring of 2012 and (hopefully) start medical school fall of the same year. is this doable? i see a lot of people have a gap year between graduation and medical school...why? is it just not feasible to do interviews and such while still in undergrad; or is it just because they want a year to relax?

Members don't see this ad.

some people take a year off to REST their brains. Some take a year off bc they didnt get into med school in the 1st cycle. Some do it to get a job and save money, and some ppl get to TRAVEL and some ppl take a year off to improve their grades through a post bac

i might be taking a year off because I am waitlisted. Dont feel like you have to go straight in med school, because most likely a lot of ppl would have taken a few years off too.
It depends on you personally, are you emotionally ready for med school?
Interviews during the school year suck, but most of you teachers will understand. You just have to put in a lil more work on the weekends.
Take a light courseload during the fall, so that you dont get tooo behind travelling for your interviews

iv been ready since high school...wouldnt know wtf to do for an entire year..plus i think i would lose my studying mojo

Members don't see this ad :)
search function?

Soooo easy to fill time in gap year, it'll go by a lot quicker than you realize. I did some research, volunteered, but mostly rested, played golf, hung out...when it comes to interviews this cycle, not sure what I'm going to say. I have a feeling they won't like, "I woke up at 4 PM, put in a solid 4 hrs/week research, and another 6 volunteering. Uh...that's it." I'll figure out what to say, may just end up saying that I knew med. education was at least 7 years straight and I made the decision to take a year break when I had the chance. But I'll probably dress it up a little bit...

I didn't take a gap because I didn't want to have to start repaying undergrad loans and I didn't want to have to work some crappy job in a dining hall for another year. However, a lot of folks take gaps to focus on the MCAT, travel, R&R, do research, etc.

I'm taking it to relax. No need to work straight from 5 years old to my mid 30s.

search function?

did you open this thread just to say that??

i deeply apologize, i didnt have an hour to sit and scroll through all threads that have the word "gap" in them