Step I Gaps in knowledge - delay step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

random12345

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I know I have gaps in my foundation/knowledge because I usually scored around 70-75% for exams, and I didn't really get the hang of it until the later half of this year. Now I'm scoring high 80's for this semester, but I have a ton of material to go back and review. We have finals, and then my exam is in 6 weeks. I haven't taken an NBME yet because I'm focused on finals, but I'm sure my first one won't be great.

Some of my friends who are in a similar situation have talked about pushing off the first rotation to study. Just wanted to see what people thought about that, and if it's worth it. I haven't decided on a specialty yet but I would like to keep most things open, if possible. Also wanted to see if 6 weeks is enough to re-learn (or even learn properly for the first time).

Thanks!