-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Garbage Can Terms
Started by NewTestament
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pain
An unpleasant sensory and emotional experience associated with actual or potential tissue damage, or described in terms of such damage.
Taken from the International Association for the Study of Pain website.
I'd like to rescind my entry.Taken from the International Association for the Study of Pain website.
I'd like to rescind my entry.
Why? No harm in tossing an answer out there.
Your offering up of pain, I think is similar to the other offers in this thread, in that I don't think that many of these are garbage can terms, in that they often have fairly concrete definitions. It's physical therapy's (and medicine's, chiropractic's, etc.) poor understanding of these definitions that leads to confusion, and incorrect application of the term (or diagnosis) in question.
Believe me, not understanding an appropriate definition of pain is a problem that is rampant within PT.
I'd say an even bigger problem is not truly understanding pain.
Of course. But given the woeful way in which many of our educational programs address that issue, I don't expect that lack of understanding to improve any time soon.
"Explain Pain" is an awesome book, while we're on the subject. Definitely recommend it to PTs.
"Explain Pain" is an awesome book, while we're on the subject. Definitely recommend it to PTs.
👍
What about carpal tunnel syndrome? Is this over-diagnosed?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"Lumbago" 😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 3K