gas after tour (Navy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flynavy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking of having some fun with flight surgery after internship, but I have some concerns from my 3rd-year med student position regarding what happens afterwards:

1. I hear that civilian residency programs love military applicants--for various reasons--but is this true in general? how about specifically for anesthesiology?

2. I've heard of a family med guy having to do his internship over again. Does this happen often in general? in gas?

3. Are military gas programs more competitive than civilian gas programs? It would make sense given the structure of at least the navy program considering GMO tours are in the future of about 2/3s of us HPSPers. After that, I imagine, most would tend towards those specialties with cush residency programs (with a cush lifestyle thereafter), and gas is up there, to be sure; thus, more interest and consideration of gas in generated. My civilian counterparts, on the other hand...well, just seem to overlook gas. (I'm not sure why, specifically.)

I guess what I'm hypothesizing is the following:
Military: more interest, less programs, more $ in residency
Civilian: less interest, more programs, less $ in residency
Conclusion: military gas likely more competitive is ratio of spots of apps are consistent with this.

4. Jets are cool?oops, not really a concern

Members don't see this ad.

I think that in general the experience that you gained during years as a GMO are viewed as beneficial, but I don't quite know if that's due to the respect for the experience. I think that in general Military GMO's are very well trained and are good candidates for civilian residency.

A couple of things you have to keep in mind. During your fourth year you apply for your GME-1 year only, i.e. you're applying for an intership. If you're interested in a GMO tour then I assume that you won't apply for a full deferment. So during your fourth year you'll apply to Navy GME-1 years. Then during your intern year you will apply for other Navy residency programs that start in the GME-2 year, be it anesthesia, flight surgery, whatever.

The catch and important thing to know is this: Incumbent GMO's (who are coming off of their GMO tour) have priority in application to all Nav programs. This means that you may be better qualified, you may have better scores, but if they want the same position in the same program you want, they get it. If there are left over spots after these incumbent GMO's have chosen, THEN you have a chance at filling slots. But also realize that this means that people who want to go into popular specialties (gas, derm, ortho, rads) and are incumbent GMO's often fill these programs. In popular specialties it is not uncommon for there to be 1-2 or no slots available to people who have just finished their GME-1 year.

So.
Military: more money, very uncertain if you will actually go right into residency after your GME-1 year, and a good chance that you'll do a GMO

Civilian: less money, the chance that you won't get a full-deferment from the Navy, somewhat less competitive due to the GMO factor

hope this helps