SuperSaiyan3

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
Do gases neither absorb nor reflect light??

I know that in photoionization experiments, we use gases so that they don't interfere with the absorbances.

And in the AAMC6 comet question, they said that gases do not reflect light.

Just wanted to confirm this and maybe spark some discussion on how gases behave.

I know that gases can absorb energy. That's how fluorescent light bulbs work...

So why wouldn't the gases in the photoionization experiments absorb light?

SS3:luck:

bruceleehiiiyaa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2008
Status
Do gases neither absorb nor reflect light??

I know that in photoionization experiments, we use gases so that they don't interfere with the absorbances.

And in the AAMC6 comet question, they said that gases do not reflect light.

Just wanted to confirm this and maybe spark some discussion on how gases behave.

I know that gases can absorb energy. That's how fluorescent light bulbs work...

So why wouldn't the gases in the photoionization experiments absorb light?

SS3:luck:

i'm confused. of course they absorb and reflect light. when they absorb light, the electrons are boosted to a higher energy level. and when they fall back, the energy is released as photons. (think of neon signs you find at stores...thats photoionization in real life!)

OP
SuperSaiyan3

SuperSaiyan3

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2009
Status
i'm confused. of course they absorb and reflect light. when they absorb light, the electrons are boosted to a higher energy level. and when they fall back, the energy is released as photons. (think of neon signs you find at stores...thats photoionization in real life!)
the answer explanation to AAMC6's comet passage question as to "what reflects light" was comet dust, and not gas, because gas doesn't reflect light.

And a kaplan test I was doing commented that in photoionization experiments, (I don't even remember what this experiment was for anymore) they uses gaseous forms because crystal lattices and liquids would interfere with the light or something...

I'm so lost now. Forget this thread.