GasForums.Net

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDN

Welcome to SDN
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The moderators of the Anesthesia forum expressed a desire to develop this forum separately from the SDN Forums. To accommodate this request, we have developed a new site, http://www.gasforums.net.

Moving the forums is the first step in building this site as an anesthesia resource for medical students and physicians. This new site will partner with SDN, but will operate independently.

Members can use the same login and password on this forum. We will continue to link the forum as a partner site from the SDN Forums.

Because we've just launched the forum on it's own domain, you might encounter some browser problems until your local DNS server has been updated with the new IP address. It may take up to 12 hours.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm... not sure yet how i feel about this... we are doctors (most of us... or soon to be ones). we are not a "separate" or "distinct" entity from our other medical colleagues.

just so long as it's listed in the same forum listing under graduate medical forums, and it doesn't substantially change from how it is now. if that's the case, the rest is just window dressing... i suppose.

As you guys can tell a large amount of work has been going on behind the scenes to hopefully help this forum. Lee has been very accomidating to us and we owe him a big Thank YOU. A more formal message is coming from OldmanDave soon (I think) so I will quit here. :D

As you guys can tell a large amount of work has been going on behind the scenes to hopefully help this forum. Lee has been very accomidating to us and we owe him a big Thank YOU. A more formal message is coming from OldmanDave soon (I think) so I will quit here. :D

Lee seems to be the only non-anesthesia moderator with any sense.

Thanks, Lee.

Interesting. I got a little scared when I went to the residency forums. I was like: "OMG where did anesthesiology go? Oh here it is." I thought you got moved to the lounge. :laugh: :laugh:

why did the name change from anesthesiology to anesthesia in the listing???

This is a horrible step in the wrong direction. The focus will shift from anesthesiology to "anesthesia" and soon this will be a forum run by nurses. Will anesthesiology no longer have a section under graduate medical forums? It is this kind of action that makes me want to go to law school so I can start a practice that focuses on litigation against nurse anesthetists. The nurses don't carry much malpractice insurance (relatively) although they work under the heading of a larger hospital organization with deeper pockets.

I don't like this and I can not emphasize how much I feel this is a step in the wrong direction. The next thing you know MD's are going to have to get a co-signature from a nurse to their orders completed. We will have a nurse supervisor in the OR's and have to check with him or her before we induce a patient . . .

This is more than just "window dressing" it is one of many attempts to wrestle the anesthetic care away from MD's, this is also taking place in other spheres (nearly all of primary care).

What possible benefits are there from breaking away from SDN? Unless SND only wants to be a front end that links to other forums, why should anesthesiology be separate while ENT, ortho, peds, etc remains the same?

I guess I should prepare for the LSAT . . .

You've got it entirely backwards.

I thought my post was pretty clear. This is a forum for physicians and medical students. This forum split from SDN under the guidance of its physician and student moderators to ensure that it will always represent the needs and desires of MD and DOs.

'Anesthesia' was just a placeholder for myself while moving the forums. Having 2 forums under the same name would have been confusing as I worked on it. Now that the work is complete, I've changed it back to Anesthesiology. Sorry for the confusion.

What's up with being so sensitive....

Anesthesia....something given to patients....which we do

Anesthesiology....the study of anesthesia...which we do....and others do too..

I see a LOT of insecurity with anesthesiologists....Quit being so insecure.....If you really believe that you can do a job that nurses can not do...then there is no reason to be insecure.....People become insecure when they know in their heart that what they are spewing is not true......

Quit being so insecure....focus on being a physician......start becoming better physicians......not just a MD/DO who gives anesthesia.

Members don't see this ad :)
We three mods are very stoked to have this site launched - a HUGE THANK YOU to Lee Burnett for entrusting us with the future of this patnership with SDN.

I will be making a more formal welcome statement under a separate thread - but right now, I have a LOT of painting to do & yard, deep yard, to mow.

Ok

I will just have to wait and see where things go. My reaction was intended to be a little over the top, but I guess it did come across as defensive and paranoid . . . oh well.

I don't post too much, but I feel that I get quite a lot from reading over the forum daily, especially from the more senior members that routinely post.

I don't entirely understand the motivation for a separate forum, but here I type with my fingers crossed hoping this is a good move.

Is this like the Bear Flag revolt or something? The SDN website looks funny with a big hole in it where gas once was...

ziemienski_bearflag.jpg

Viva La Revolution!

Lee seems to be the only non-anesthesia moderator with any sense.

Thanks, Lee.

the Webmonster on High has sleestak genes. if you can put up with the smell he's nice to have around.

definitely keeps the rodent and bug population under control around SDN. :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood land of the lost caveman

Lee, you are the man.

We'll do our damn best to keep in the tradition of having a site welcome to all medical students, residents, and hopefully attendings, for the discussion and dissemination of relevant topics.

To all of the attendings that regularly post on here may I say you guys have SERIOUSLY changed the way I approach an anesthetic. For the BETTER may I add.

For all the students and fellow residents, you guys keep me continually comming to this site.

Word.

the Webmonster on High has sleestak genes. if you can put up with the smell he's nice to have around.

definitely keeps the rodent and bug population under control around SDN. :thumbup:

--your friendly neighborhood land of the lost caveman

I'm not really sure how to read that post, Homunculus. I think I'm supposed to say thank you and that I feel you may also have some responsiblity in making this happen. :thumbup:

hmmm... not sure yet how i feel about this... we are doctors (most of us... or soon to be ones). we are not a "separate" or "distinct" entity from our other medical colleagues.

just so long as it's listed in the same forum listing under graduate medical forums, and it doesn't substantially change from how it is now. if that's the case, the rest is just window dressing... i suppose.

I agree with this. I thought the forum was fine the way it was. Is this about the moderator issue? If so, why cant there be a separate unmoderated forum where people who want to argue can go and argue, and just leave the SDN anesthesiology section as is, as the section for anesthesiology advice?
This action seems to almost border on sending the wrong message to our colleagues in other medical specialties. as i've discovered on the wards, many already have a skewed conception of what anesthesiology entails. do we want to perpetuate this and exacerbate it? It's shocking how many patients will have incredible respect for the field of anesthesiology and know more about what anesthesiologists do, than even some attendings in other specialties. Even though the new site DOES look amazing (thanks Lee!), symbolically separating it out from the other med specialties on SDN kinda suggests that it is no longer a medical field. This is much ado about a small thing, but that was my first impression when i saw the change.

It seems to be kind of a moot point now anyway, but as best I can tell the only difference to the casual observer is the URL change when you click onto the forums if you happen to notice or read the intro post... But I think that having the benefit of people like Jet not being put on time-out is invaluable.

I agree with this. I thought the forum was fine the way it was. Is this about the moderator issue? If so, why cant there be a separate unmoderated forum where people who want to argue can go and argue, and just leave the SDN anesthesiology section as is, as the section for anesthesiology advice?
This action seems to almost border on sending the wrong message to our colleagues in other medical specialties. as i've discovered on the wards, many already have a skewed conception of what anesthesiology entails. do we want to perpetuate this and exacerbate it? It's shocking how many patients will have incredible respect for the field of anesthesiology and know more about what anesthesiologists do, than even some attendings in other specialties. Even though the new site DOES look amazing (thanks Lee!), symbolically separating it out from the other med specialties on SDN kinda suggests that it is no longer a medical field. This is much ado about a small thing, but that was my first impression when i saw the change.

Point taken but this was done to get rid of the mods that swooped in from time to time and screwed everything up. Now they can access the site but they can't moderate.

Now they can access the site but they can't moderate.

Kinda like my Foundation Room card buzzes me into the House of Blues for the big concerts and, uhhh, sorry ma'am, you've gotta use the door over there....yes ma'am...the one with the line around the block...:laugh:

It appears that we can no longer search within this forum. Am I missing something?