Gastroparesis & SSRIs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whopper

Former jolly good fellow
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a patient with pretty bad gastroparesis and on top of that bad PTSD. SSRIs as a class in general can make gastroparesis worse.

I do remember though an article about 2 years ago and I can't find the article on the effects of several SSRIs on irritable bowel syndrome. It basically mentioned which SSRIs had the best & worst effects on gastric motility.

Bottom line: anyone know of any SSRIs that have the least effect on worsening gastroparesis, or has the best benefit in helping its sx?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a patient with pretty bad gastroparesis and on top of that bad PTSD. SSRIs as a class in general can make gastroparesis worse.

I do remember though an article about 2 years ago and I can't find the article on the effects of several SSRIs on irritable bowel syndrome. It basically mentioned which SSRIs had the best & worst effects on gastric motility.

Bottom line: anyone know of any SSRIs that have the least effect on worsening gastroparesis, or has the best benefit in helping its sx?

Would mirtazipine be useful here?

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up reccomending Sertraline.

I figured Lexapro-because it has the least side effects and least protein binding, or sertraline--which has an indication for PTSD (didn't want to give PAxil--which has even more side effects though it does have an indication).

However I still could not find any documentation on which SSRIs are the best ones for gastroparesis.

When I give out a med, I try to make sure its the best one for the situation and I Can't stand docs that just throw out the same med to everybody. Oh well, still looking. Thanks for the help.

Is this post-op gastroparesis, secondary to DM, or another identifiable cause?

Are they in the hospital for malnutrition? Receiving TPN or PPN? All these factors can help lead you in a particular direction.

In general, SSRIs in general can delay gastric emptying, so it can be a tough call.

Yeah, my first question is what's causing the gastroparesis. Diabetes? Anorexia Nervosa? Something else?

In a situation like that, though, I'd look at the two issues separately -- polypharm, because any of the SSRIs will cause gastro sx. Now that cisapride isn't available, I guess metoclopramide in the next option? Unless someone knows of something else?

Do you know what's causing the gastroparesis?